Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: 2 Corinthians 3:1-8
Do the Words of Jesus Apply Today?
1. Are MMLJ (Matt. Mk. Lk. Jno.) a record of the Law of Moses or the gospel of Christ? Do the words of Jesus have application today, or were they “nailed to the cross” as part of the Law of Moses?
2. Incredibly, some say Jesus came teaching LOM & that His pre-cross teachings do not apply today.
3. Why this doctrine? To allow all second marriages regardless of the cause of putting away (Matt. 5:31-32; 19:6-9).
4. What did Jesus teach? Are MMLJBC (before cross) part of the Old Testament Law of Moses, or the New Testament gospel of Christ?
I. WHAT JESUS PREACHED, Lk. 16:16.
A. Gospel of the Kingdom, Mk. 1:1; Matt. 4:23, 17; Lk. 4:42-44.
1. Parables taught things about the kingdom OT prophets did not see & hear, Matt. 13:10, 16-17.
2. Foundation of His church, Matt. 16:16-18.
3. Keys of the kingdom (not of Israel), Matt. 16:19.
4. New birth into the kingdom (not into Israel), Jno. 3:3-5.
5. Solving problems in the kingdom (church), Matt. 18:15-17.
6. Apostles preached the kingdom before the cross, Matt. 10:5-7.
B. The New Covenant, Jer. 31:31-34; Heb. 8:6-13; 9:15-17.
1. Christ’s blood dedicated the new covenant He had preached.
2. Preached a memorial supper eaten in the kingdom, Matt. 26:19.
C. A Different (unique, distinct) Message, Jno. 1:17-18 (Jno. 7:46).
1. Jesus revealed the Father to man, something Moses did not do.
2. Jesus said He, not Moses, provided true manna thru His words, Jno. 6:32-35, 51, 63. If Jesus taught LOM, eternal life is in Moses!
3. If Jesus taught Moses, how is it the Jews knew Moses but did not know Jesus? Jno. 9:28-29
D. Jesus & His Teaching is Presented as Superior to & to be Preferred over the Law of Moses, Matt. 17:5.
1. “But I say to you,” Matt. 5:22, 28, 32, etc.; 7:29.
2. Words contain eternal life (Jno. 6:63, 67-68).
a. If Jesus was just teaching LOM, then eternal life was in the Law of Moses (Gal. 2:21; 3:21).
b. His word standard of judgment & source of life, Jno. 12:48-50.
c. Moses spoke of Jesus, not other way around! Jno. 5:46-47
E. The Apostles Said Jesus Preached the Gospel, not Law of Moses.
1. Jesus preached peace to Israel: Acts 10:36-37.
2. What peace? Remission of sins, Acts 13:38-39 (not LOM, Rom. 3:20).
3. The peace Jesus preached reconciles Jews & Gentiles to God “in one body” – Gospel, not the LOM! Eph. 2:14-18 (Isa. 57:19)
4. Jesus spoke salvation (not Law of Moses), Heb. 2:1-3.
5. Why did the HS need to bring to their remembrance what Jesus taught if it has no authority (power) after the cross? (Jno. 14:26)
II. DO MMLJ BELONG TO THE OLD OR NEW COVENANT? 2 Cor. 3:5-8
A. Were the Apostles Ministers of Death or Life? 2 Cor. 3:5-6, 14-16
1. If MMLJ are not for today (LOM), then they minister death.
2. Ministry of death written on stones (3:7); that’s not MMLJ.
a. Was Matthew a minister of the old covenant when he wrote his book (by the Spirit) years after the cross? (cf. John)
b. Was book of Matthew a part of the LOM that was passing away, or part of the glorious ministry of the Spirit? 3:7-8
c. Did Luke write one book to Theophilus (Luke) that was a “ministry of death” (3:7) & one book (Acts) that was a “ministry of the Spirit” (3:8)? Lk. 1:1-4; Acts 1:1
3. Were Jews reading Matthew as a part of the OT? Does Matthew keep Jews from turning to the Lord? Or, did Matthew’s book try to lift veil the that remained when OT read? 2 Cor. 3:14-16
B. What “Writing of Requirements” was Nailed to Cross? Col. 2:14
1. This is not the “verbal” teaching of Jesus: “…writing…”
2. This is not MMLJ (they were written decades after the cross).
3. LOM is the “the law of commandments,” Eph. 2:14-15.
1. The disciple of Christ is not permitted to appeal to the very words of His Master to authorize His conduct (cf. Lk. 6:40).
2. The personal teachings of Jesus before the cross never apply to men after the cross. (But, Paul made application: 1 Cor. 7:10; Acts 20:35)
3. Overwhelming evidence that MMLJ are part of the New Testament (will) of Christ, dedicated by his blood & in force today (Heb. 9:15-17).
4. MMLJBC contain the authority of Christ…Hear Him (Matt. 17:5).
5. We can hear & do the words of Jesus...today, Matt. 7:24.