Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Luke 4:42-44
MATTHEW, MARK, LUKE AND JOHN
(LAW OF MOSES OR GOSPEL OF CHRIST?)
1. Christians continue to be deceived by the false doctrine that MMLJ are not part of the New Covenant.
2. The doctrine: Jesus lived & died under the LOM, \His words do not apply today. The recorded words of Jesus (MMLJ) spoken before the cross do not apply today (after the cross).
3. Requirement: The Scripture that authorizes this doctrine.
4. We will show from Scripture that this teaching is so blatantly false that it exposes an agenda for other false doctrine (mdr).
5. Matt. 7:15; Col. 2:4: Do not be deceived by persuasive (false) words.
I. JESUS SPOKE OF SALVATION BEFORE THE CROSS.
A. LOM Identified Sin but could not Save from Sin, Rom. 3:20 (Heb. 10:1, 4).
B. Apart from (the) Law, Salvation is Revealed, Rom. 3:21-22.
1. Through faith in Christ, not by keeping the LOM (3:23-24).
2. Jesus spoke this salvation – not the LOM! Heb. 2:1-3
3. Jesus’ words contain “eternal life,” Jno. 6:63, 68; 12:49-50 (not LOM!).
4. Grace came through Jesus, not Moses, Jno. 1:17 (Gal. 2:21; 3:21).
II. OT PROPHETS POINTED TO JESUS, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.
A. Jesus Taught this before & after the Cross, Lk. 24:44-45.
B. Moses & Prophets Said to Hear Him, Deut. 18:15-19 → Acts 3:19-26.
1. OT prophets testified of Jesus, Jno. 5:39; We are told Jesus said hear Moses! Moses wrote of Christ! Jno. 5:46
2. Here Jesus, not Moses & Elijah, Matt. 17:3-5. (Only after the cross?!)
C. OT Prophets Said Jesus Would Preach the Gospel, Isa. 61:1-2.
-Lk. 4:17-29: Today this Scripture is fulfilled… (Not: “after the cross this Scripture will be fulfilled…”).
III. JESUS PREACHED THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM BEFORE THE CROSS.
A. Jesus was Sent to Preach the Kingdom of God, Not LOM, Lk. 4:42-44.
1. According to some, Jesus failed his mission!
2. But, Jesus finished the work He was given, Jno. 17:4.
B. LOM Proclaimed until John; Then the Gospel was Preached, Lk. 16:16.
1. The beginning of the gospel: John the Baptist, Mk. 1:1-3.
-Not: “The continuation of the law of Moses…”
2. John preached the coming kingdom & Messiah, Matt. 3:2, 11-12.
3. Jesus preached the coming kingdom & Himself as Messiah, Matt. 4:17, 23.
a. Many misunderstood the kingdom (Jno. 6:15; Matt. 11:12-13).
b. How could this be so if Jesus was teaching the LOM?
4. Jesus preached to “believe in the gospel,” Mk. 1:15.
a. Belief comes from hearing, Rom. 10:17.
b. Therefore, Jesus was preaching the gospel, not LOM!
C. Jesus Preached to Gentiles as well as Jews, Matt. 4:12-17.
1. The LOM was not given to the Gentiles.
2. But, he preached same message to Jews & Gentiles, Matt. 4:23.
3. Therefore, He was preaching the gospel, not the LOM!
D. The Gospel of the Kingdom: Preached Before & After the Cross.
IV. REMEMBERING THE WORDS JESUS SPOKE BEFORE THE CROSS, Jno.14:26. (Why, if He was teaching the LOM? It has been done away as binding!)
A. To Teach about His Resurrection, Jno. 2:19-22.
B. To Teach about Generous Giving, Acts 20:35.
C. To Teach about Marriage, Divorce & Remarriage, 1 Cor. 7:10-11.
V. WHY THE FUSS? INVALIDATE WHAT JESUS TAUGHT ABOUT MARRIAGE, DIVORCE & REMARRIAGE, Matt. 5:31-32; 19:9. cf. Lk. 16:16, 18
-(To allow converts to remain in sinful remarriages.)
A. Moses & Jesus did not Teach the Same Thing, Matt. 19:6-9.
1. Moses (LOM): Allows putting away (Deut. 24:1-4); Adulterer (fornicator) was to be killed (Lev. 20:10).
2. Jesus (Gospel): Adulterer may be put away, Matt. 19:9.
B. Jesus & Paul did Teach the Same Thing, 1 Cor. 7:10-11 (Rom. 7:2-3).
1. Jesus: “…let not man put asunder” (Matt. 19:6).
2. Paul: “A wife is not to depart from her husband…husband is not to divorce his wife” (1 Cor. 7:10).
VI. CONSEQUENCES OF THE DOCTRINE INCLUDE...
1. Nullifies the binding authority of Jesus’ teachings before the cross.
2. The disciple of Christ (a Christian) cannot use the words of His Master to become like Him (authorize his conduct), Lk. 6:40.
3. The lost cannot go to the words of Jesus to learn and be saved (Matt. 11:28-30).
4. The authority of Christ for today is not found and heard in MMLJ (Matt. 17:5).
a. Yet, when we hear His apostles we hear Him! Lk. 10:16 (Matt. 10:40)
b. So, they wrote MMLJ after the cross, & we must hear/receive them!
1. The doctrine that MMLJ is not part of the new covenant of Christ is false!
2. Just as a living person writes a will that goes into force after he dies, Jesus spoke His will that went into force after He died, Heb. 9:15-20.
3. “Hear Him!” (Matt. 17:5)