Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 Samuel 20:24-27
Would You Be Missed?
1. What kind of impact does your presence have on this congregation: Strength, faithfulness and stability? Or-- doubt, weakness, apathy, absence?
2. Our part in the church ought to be filled with faithful activities that would be missed if we were not present! (cf. 1 Sam 20:18)
a. Would you be missed if your seat were empty?
b. Every Christian ought to be missed, cf. 1 Sam 20:5, 24-27; Heb 10:24-25.
3. If you can answer, “yes” to the following questions, then you are missed when you are absent.
I. ARE YOU REGULARLY IN YOUR APPOINTED PLACE?
A. We have “Appointments” (responsibilities and requirements) with God that We Must Keep.
1. To “keep appointments” with God shows our faith, thankfulness (Jas 1:17), need to be strengthened, and obedience.
2. We are always in God’s sight! cf. Acts 10:33
B. Consider Some of the Appointments We Have that We Should Always Keep:
1. Salvation, Heb 5:8-9.
2. Worship, Psa 122:1; Heb 10:24-25.
3. Family: Time, attention, care, etc., 1 Tim 5:8.
4. This means being a faithful steward, cf. Lk 12:42-44.
II. ARE YOU A DEMONSTRATION OF LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP?
A. Christians are True Friends to One Other, Jno 13:34-35; 1 Jno 3:17-18.
1. Away with the “we don’t have anything in common” excuse to rationalize lack of friendship with brethren (Christ, salvation, life, hope…).
2. Fervent love among ourselves! 1 Pet 4:8
B. Be a Friend to Have Friends, Prov 18:24 (KJV); Matt 7:12.
-Lose yourself in others and you will be missed!
III. ARE YOU AN ENCOURAGEMENT TO THE CHURCH?
A. By Helping Others be Faithful to the Lord, Gal 6:2; Jude 22-23.
-Bearing the burdens, showing compassion, rescuing…
B. By Participating with Your Brethren in Spiritual Work, Rom 12:11-16; 1 Cor 12:26.
1. Qualities that encourage, Rom 12:11-16.
2. 1 Cor 12:26: When others suffer with us it helps us endure; when others rejoice with us it increases our joy! The Christian who encourages us is missed when he/she is absent!
IV. ARE YOU DEPENDABLE? Titus 3:1
A. Achieved by Purging Sin and Replacing it with Purity, 2 Tim 2:20-22 (cf. 4:11).
-Useful to the Lord when pure from sin.
B. Can You be Depended on to do Your Part? Philemon 21
1. Teach, preach, worship, grow, to encourage and love, stand for truth, etc.
2. If you can be trusted to do your best, then you will be missed when you are absent!
V. ARE YOU A HELPER IN TIME OF NEED?
A. Do You Look to the Welfare of Your Fellow-Christians? 1 Ths 5:14-15; Phil 2:3-4 (Not as a gossip or a busybody, but with genuine care and love.)
1. We must slow down and remember each other.
2. Warn, encourage, support, longsuffering, pursue good toward all, 1 Ths 5:14-15.
3. We are made better by helping others, and so is the person we helped! (cf. 2 Tim 4:11, 17)
4. The Christian who helps us in a time of need will be missed when he/she is absent!
1. This church feels your absence when your seat is empty.
2. Be assured that God knows our level of faithfulness, friendship, encouragement, dependability and helpfulness, Heb 4:13; 6:10.
3. Your place in the church is important: Others count on you; we count on you; God counts on you!