THE MESSIAH'S MERCY AND OURS!
1. Jesus was charged with being evil while He went about doing good. Yet, He faced the injustices of men with candor, caring & consistency.
2. Matt. 12:1-14 - He was merciful when people around Him were not.
3. Our challenge: To walk in His steps (1 Jno. 2:5-6).
I. GOD EXPECTS MEN TO BE MERCIFUL - 12:1-8; Hosea 6:4-6.
A. To Be Merciful, We Must First Recognize Our Need For & Our Reception Of Mercy - v. 1-2.
1. "Manifestation of pity...Sympathy manifested in act" (Vine, III:60-61).
2. cf. God's mercy to us - Matt. 9:10-12; Lk. 6:36; 18:13.
3. Deut. 23:25 - Law of Moses legislated mercy.
B. Do Not Fight Against The Mercy Of God - v. 2-7.
1. Unmerciful watch for slightest "violation" - v. 2. Pharisees' charge was false - Not forbidden to eat / prepare food on the Sabbath.
2. Being unmerciful is often arbitrary & leads to inconsistencies/contradictions - v. 3-7.
a. v. 3-4 - David's violation was accepted by the Pharisees while Christ's disciples' were charged, though guiltless (v. 7).
b. v. 5 - Priests' labor on Sabbath was lawful & allowed - Mercy on Sabbath was also allowed.
c. v. 6, 8 - If priests were justifiable, much more His disciples, for He is greater than the temple & Lord of the Sabbath.
C. Mercy Is Not In Conflict With Obeying Truth - v. 7.
1. Obedience is not to be ignored so that "mercy" may be shown. (cf. Plan of salvation) - cf. Psa. 89:14
2. Rather, obedience is not accepted when it is not joined w/ mercy - Matt. 23:23.
3. Matt. 9:10-13 - Interest in purity nullified because they couldn't show mercy to those who were not pure!
II. BE MERCIFUL ALWAYS - 12:9-14.
A. Characteristics Of Mercy:
1. Being merciful grows out of a merciful heart - Matt. 18:33-35; Lk. 10:36-37; Col. 3:12.
2. Mercy is not & cannot be given grudgingly - Rom. 12:8.
3. Mercy is an expression of wisdom - Jas. 3:17.
4. Being merciful will be rewarded - Matt. 5:7; Jas. 2:13.
B. Why We Are Not Merciful Toward Others:
1. We have forgotten & are not thankful for the mercy we have received (Matt. 18:32-33).
2. Pride & self-righteousness - (Lk. 18:9-11).
3. Power over others - (cf. Lk. 10:31-32).
4. Selfishness - As long as we feel good about ourselves we forget to care about others - (Phil. 2:3-4).
5. Unforgiving - (Matt. 6:14-15).
6. Uncaring (insensitive, do not think of others) - (2 Cor. 7:2).
1. Psa. 89:1-2 - We cannot praise God's mercy while being unmerciful.
2. Accept His mercy in Christ.
3. Be merciful to others by always doing them good.