Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Revelation 2:1-7
1. The Lord adds saved people to His church, Acts 2:47.
2. The saved join themselves together into local churches, Acts 2:44; 5:12; 11:20-23; 14:23.
3. What does your membership (part) in this local church mean to you? What does it require of you? What are you contributing to this church as a member of it?
4. Membership in a local church has spiritual purposes that give meaning and spiritual accomplishment to our lives. While we are sure not everything as a Christian can be or should be defined only by the local church, there are significant expectations the Lord puts on us in the local church. (No "membership at large" in the NT church)
5. The question to ask: Is membership in this church meaningful to you?
I. "YES", IF YOU ARE A GENUINE PARTICIPANT IN WORSHIP.
A. To Praise and Honor God for His Mercy, Power and Holiness, Psa. 5:7; 29:1-2. Not with vain worship (Matt. 15:8-9).
B. To be Edified and to Edify Others, 1 Cor. 14:12-19.
-Requires engagement of the mind (heart) and body.
1. As we sing and pray, 14:15-16; Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16.
2. As we listen to God's word, Acts 10:32-33.
3. As we eat the Lord's supper, 1 Cor. 11:27-31.
4. As we give, 2 Cor. 9:7.
II. "YES", IF YOU ARE A GENUINE PARTNER IN THE CHURCH'S WORK.
A. "Coming in and Going Out", Acts 9:26-29. Active participant in the work of the congregation.
B. "They Assembled with the Church", Acts 11:21-26. Heb. 10:24-25
1. Barnabas encouraged the brethren, 11:23.
2. Barnabas taught the lost, 11:24 (added to the Lord, 5:14).
3. Barnabas and Saul taught many people (disciples), 11:26.
C. They Served the Lord, Acts 13:1-2. (Acts 6:1-6)
1. Not only "at services", cf. Matt. 25:34-40.
2. Not only those with whom we are close or who are strong, Lk. 6:31-36 (Gal. 6:10).
III. "YES", IF YOU ARE A GENUINE PART OF THE BODY.
A. You are a Meaningful Part of this Body, 1 Cor. 12:14-19.
1. Each member has importance and strength in some area, Rom. 12:3-8.
2. Each member contributes to the body's strength, unity and growth, Eph. 4:11-16.
3. Each member can and should live to be an asset to the church to the glory of God, 1 Pet. 4:7-11.
B. Some Things Everyone Can Do Include:
1. Praying for each other with watchfulness, 1 Pet. 4:7 (Jas. 5:16).
2. Loving each other to help overcome sin, 1 Pet. 4:8.
3. Showing hospitality without complaining, 1 Pet. 4:9.
4. Setting godly examples for each other, 1 Tim. 4:12.
5. Giving encouragement to one another, cf. Rom. 1:12.
1. In Christ we are "members of one another", Rom. 12:5.
2. One way to increase your effectiveness as a member of this local church is to be more concerned with giving than receiving, Prov. 11:24-25 (Acts 20:35).
3. As you give your time, your commitment, your earnest interest, your true worship...yourself to being an active, faithful member of the Lord's church, you glorify God, are strengthened in your faith, and fulfill the Lord's will for yourself and this church.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 11, 2015