Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Ezekiel 43:4-12
1. We want accurate measurements (Bureau of Weights & Measures). God commanded Israel concerning measurements (Deut. 25:15).
2. God-given measurements include:
a. Noah’s ark, Gen. 6:15.
b. Tabernacle, Exo. 25:9ff, 40.
c. Solomon’s Temple, 1 Chrn. 28:10-12, 19.
d. Ezekiel’s Temple (vision of God’s kingdom), Ezek. 40:2-4; 43:6-12.
1) The church, Isa. 2:2-3 (Eph. 2:19-22).
2) Pattern/form that “fits together,” dwelling with God; Pattern exposes the defects of sin & error.
3) The house of God has a law; God’s measurements (gospel), Rom. 6:17; 2 Tim. 1:13.
3. We must be true to God’s measurements in all things (Col. 3:17).
I. DO (DIVINE) MEASUREMENTS REALLY MATTER?
A. Noah Obtained God’s Grace when he Applied God’s Measurements, Gen. 6:8.
B. Israel Obtained God’s Presence by Building Tabernacle as Directed, Exo. 25:8; 29:44-46; 40:34-35.
C. Israel’s Sacrifices Were Acceptable to God from Solomon’s Temple, 2 Chrn. 7:12, 16.
D. The Holiness of God’s People is Accomplished/Protected/Maintained When His Measurements are Applied, Ezek. 42:20; 43:10-12.
II. BIBLE PATTERNS STILL MATTER TODAY. (Bible Authority)
A. We Must Live by:
1. Phil. 3:16: RULE (kanon) – Used of a measuring rod, a carpenter’s line or measuring tape; “any rule or standard” (Thayer, 324).
2. Rom. 6:17: FORM (topos) – “an example...the pattern in conformity to which a thing must be made: Acts 7:44” (Thayer, 632).
3. 2 Tim. 1:13: PATTERN (hupotuposis) – “the pattern placed before one to be held fast and copied, model” (Thayer, 645).
B. Changing Attitudes toward Bible Authority:
1. “Boring to study authority (how established, how applied).” WHY?
2. “Irrelevant in today’s world.” 1 Pet. 1:23
III. GOD’S MEASUREMENTS MUST BE RESPECTED & APPLIED (For grace, fellowship with God, approved service & holiness).
A. How to be Saved: Is there a Measurement? Yes, Jno. 8:24; Lk. 13:3; Mk. 16:16 Shall we alter or ignore the pattern & recognize “Christians” in all religious movements?
B. True Worship: Is there a Measurement? Yes, Jno. 4:24
1. Music: Sing, Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16.
a. Silent on instruments.
b. cf. Heb. 7:14 (priests from Judah).
2. Lord’s Supper: Elements.
a. Matt. 26:26-29: Unleavened bread & fruit of the vine.
b. Why not hamburger & coke?
C. Organization of the Local Church: Is there a Measurement? Yes, Acts 14:23; Phil. 1:1
1. Independent, autonomous oversight.
2. Sponsoring churches; Collective oversight; women elders & preachers.
D. Work of the Local Church: Is there a Measurement? Yes, Acts 6:1-4; 20:28
E. Morality: Is there a Measurement? Yes, cf. Jgs. 21:25; Titus 2:11-12
1. Social drinking, dancing, gambling, immodesty are being redefined to accommodate self and rationalize the divine measurements.
2. Adulterous remarriages are accepted as right before God.
F. Fellowship: Is there a Measurement? Yes, 2 Jno. 9-11 (Gal. 1:8-9)
1. Shall we accept into fellowship those who practice &/or teach error (sin)? (MDR; Work, worship, organization of the local church; Ecumenism; etc.)
2. “Always have been differences, and still are.” (Fellowship, Samuel Dawson, 23)
1. Once God’s measurements are set aside we are in uncharted waters (unmeasured territory) that will drown our souls in sin.
2. We must be true to God’s measurements by being true to the revealed pattern, His word.