Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Acts 20:17-24
Why it Matters
1. Col. 3:17: We are asked why following the Bible (God's word) in all things matters:
a. "Everyone interprets the Bible differently" - why does it matter what we believe? Jno. 8:31-32; Eph. 5:17
b. "God loves everyone regardless of what they believe/practice" - why does it matter as long as you are sincere? Matt. 7:21-23
c. "We all believe in the resurrection of Christ" - why does it matter if we have a holy day to celebrate it? 1 Cor. 4:6; Matt. 15:8-9
d. "We are all in the church of Christ" - why does it matter whether we are in fellowship on everything? 1 Cor. 1:10
2. Book of Acts: Points of controversy, why it mattered - and still does!
I. THAT JESUS IS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF GOD.
A. Because the Fulfillment of God's Promise Matters, Acts 2:36-41 (39).
1. Promise to Abraham, Gen. 12:3; Gal. 3:8-9, 14, 22, 26-29.
2. Promise to David (Jesus the Savior), Acts 13:23-41 (38-39).
B. Because Salvation from Sin Matters, Acts 2:36-41 (47).
1. God calls sinners to salvation by Christ's gospel, 2:39.
2. Sinners call on God for salvation by obedient faith, 2:21, 37-38, 41.
C. Because the Authority of Christ to Save Sinners Matters, Acts 3:6, 11-17; 4:7-12, 13-20.
II. WHEN CHRISTIANS SIN.
A. Because Sin is Known and Punished by God, Acts 5:1-11.
B. Because Sin in a New Christian is not Overlooked, Acts 8:14-24.
III. WHEN FALSE TEACHERS COME WITH THEIR FALSE TEACHINGS.
A. Because Error must be Identified, Resisted and not Given Fellowship, Acts 15:1-5.
1. Because souls are at stack when error is accepted and advanced, Gal. 2:1-5. To save souls!
a. Accommodation would result in fellowship w/ sin, 2 Jno. 9-11.
b. Accommodation would invite souls to believe/practice error to the loss of their souls!
2. Truth was discussed, studied and explained, Acts 15:6-21.
3. Truth was taught everywhere without fear or favor, Acts 15:22-29, 30-32; 16:4.
B. Because Faithful Ones Must be Warned of Potential and Future Error, Acts 20:17, 20, 26-32.
1. Elders must diligently feed/oversee the flock of God, 20:28.
2. Elders are warned of dangers from without and among themselves, 20:29-32 - watch and feed the word of His grace!
3. No one is immune from sin's temptation and error's appeal!
IV. WHEN CHRISTIANS ARE PERSECUTED FOR THE SAKE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.
A. Because We Must Obey God Rather than Men, Acts 5:27-32, 40-42.
1. God's will must come first in our lives, regardless of the sacrifice, regardless of the ramifications, Lk. 9:23.
2. To live the devotion we profess, cf. Acts 26:9-11.
B. Because We Must Share in the Suffering of Christ, 1 Pet. 4:12-14.
1. Willing to suffer for name of Christ, Acts 9:16; 20:23; 21:10-14.
2. Such sacrifice shows the value one puts on Christ's blessings of glory, Phil. 3:7-11.
1. It matters what you believe, practice, teach, have fellowship with and live to the point of persecution.
2. It matters because God matters, Christ matters, truth matters, the church matters and your soul matters!