Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Matthew 14:34-36
They Recognized Him
1. The excitement generated by the events of the previous day (Matt 14:1-33) is met with the sober teaching from the Bread of Life, and many turn away from Jesus (Jno 6:22-66).
2. Yet, others recognized Him when they came to the land of Gennesaret, and the people of that region rushed to Him for healing, Matt 14:34-36; Mk 6:53-56.
-Gennesaret a 3mi x 1mi strip on NW side of Sea of Galilee; very fertile (walnuts, palms, figs, olives, grapes).
I. THE PEOPLE RECOGNIZED HIM, Matt 14:35; Mk 6:53.
A. Do You Recognize Jesus? Jno 14:9
1. Many conceal the real Jesus through their false teachings about Him:
a. Just a man (Jno 10:32-33).
b. Only appeared to be man (1 Jno 4:2-5).
c. Only worked by the power of Holy Spirit (Lk 5:17).
d. Not eternal (JWs); Spirit child born to God (LDS).
2. We must open our eyes and recognize Jesus, Lk 24:31...
a. From fulfilled prophecy, Lk 24:25-27, 44-45. (15 times in Matt)
b. From the testimony of eyewitnesses, Matt 14:35.
1) People relied on credible testimony of those who knew Jesus to convince them to bring their sick to Him there.
2) Same way the lost come to Jesus in faith for salvation today! Matt 28:19-20; Acts 1:8
3. We see Jesus, Heb 2:9.
B. Do People Recognize Jesus When They See Us? Lk 6:40
1. In our love for one another? Jno 13:34-35; 1 Jno 3:16-18
2. In our unity in truth? Jno 17:20-21; Eph 4:3-6
3. In our moral likeness of Christ? Col 3:10; Eph 4:20-24
4. Otherwise, we are stumbling blocks to them! Matt 18:6-7
II. THE NEWS OF JESUS SPREAD, Matt 14:35; Mk 6:55.
A. We Must Spread the News about Jesus, Acts 8:4.
1. We have seen His healing power (our sins, our trials, our pains); we must spread the news! Matt 9:36-38
2. Believers persuade others to come, Jno 4:27-30, 39-42.
B. Those who Desired Healing Came to Jesus, Matt 11:28-30.
1. Amazing expressions of faith, cf. Mk 2:1-5.
2. Yet, even in those places many rejected Him, Matt 11:20-24.
3. A warning against self-serving motives for seeking Jesus!
III. THE SICK PLEADED WITH JESUS AND HE HEALED THEM, Matt 14:36.
A. God’s Hand is not too Short to Save Any Who Come to Him, Isa 59:1-2; 1 Tim 1:15.
1. Jesus saves us by offering Himself to God for us, Heb 2:17.
a. Jesus is the sinner’s only access to redemption, Heb 10:19-22. Draw near to God through Him.
b. Come to His light for life, Acts 13:47-49.
2. Jesus helps us when we are tempted by sin, Heb 2:18; 4:14-16; 1 Cor 10:13. Ways of escape…
a. By an example one who overcame temptation (Matt 4:1ff).
b. By a living hope that urges us to endure.
c. By prayer, to strengthen the fainthearted, Phil 4:6-7.
d. By brethren who lift us up when feeble, Heb 12:12-13.
e. By working when we are lazy, Heb 6:10-12.
f. By giving when we feel like taking, Acts 20:35.
B. Perfect Healing is from Jesus, Matt 14:36.
1. No half-measures; no incremental healing.
2. cf. Benny Hinn:
a. “…is being investigated by the Senate Finance Committee and was recently denied entry into the United Kingdom” (“Pastor Benny Hinn: Charlatan or Man of God?”, FoxNews.com)
b. “…the Texas-based faith healer, whose ‘Holy Spirit Miracle Crusades’ pack sports arenas across the United States, is fielding questions about his controversies…”
c. “And talking he is…about the finance probe, his lavish lifestyle and accusations that his faith healings are fake because he offers no documentation or verification that he has, in fact, helped the blind see and the crippled walk. “They question me on why I don’t verify,” Hinn says. “I answer, ‘God never called me to verify. I’m not a doctor.’”
3. cf. Jesus: Jno 11:47; Acts 2:22 (apostles, 4:16).
4. No doubt when Jesus saves you! Mk 16:16; Acts 8:37-39
1. In Jesus we come to fully know the heavenly Father, Jno 14:7-9.
2. Come to Him for the healing of your soul.
3. Spread the news that Jesus completely saves!