A SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGE
1. Divorce is now an intrinsic (real, basic & built-in) part of society (~50% of marriages end in divorce, etc.). Heb. 13:4
2. Many more marriages are in trouble! (Is Your Marriage in Trouble?)
3. Nearly all marriages have some problems: Different degrees, different reasons, and different times.
4. God wants you to succeed in your marriage - Not just endure! (Many Christians have successful marriages! Stop & think of some you know.)
5. We must look to God to find out how to succeed in our marriages!
6. Some major reasons why marriages succeed.
I. BOTH ARE DEEPLY IMPRESSED THAT MARRIAGE IS OF DIVINE ORIGIN -
Gen. 1:26-28; 2:18-25; Matt. 19:3-6.
A. The Home Was Instituted by God to Cradle, Shape & Maintain Civilization.
1. Civilization & society came out of marriage & the home - Not the other way around! (cf. Anthropologists deny the word of God here.)
2. Those who know & fear God will honor marriage & Him who gave it to us - Heb. 13:4.
B. God & His Will are Honored in the Marriage - cf. Mal. 2:14.
II. BOTH KNOW & ARE RESOLVED THAT MARRIAGE IS A LIFE-LONG RELATIONSHIP
- Matt. 19:6-9; Rom. 7:1-2.
A. Overriding Commitment to the Enduring Nature of Marriage is Crucial to its Success. ("cleave")
III. BOTH UNDERSTAND THE UNITY OF MARRIAGE - (Amos 3:3) Gen.
2:23-24; Eph. 5:22-25, 28-29, 33; 1 Pet. 3:5-7.
A. Those Who Willingly Accept Their Respective Role & Function in Marriage Will Succeed In Marriage. (Leader & help-meet; Love & submissive)
IV. BOTH TRULY LOVE (& BE IN LOVE WITH) EACH OTHER - Tit.
2:3-5; Eph. 5:25, 28, 33 (1 Cor. 13:4-7).
A. When Real Love is Practiced Your Marriage Will Succeed.
1. "I'm sorry".
2. "I forgive you".
B. Value Your Spouse. (Honor, respect, etc.)
V. BOTH MUST PRACTICE SELF-CONTROL - 1 Cor. 7:5.
A. Control Your Tongue - Jas. 1:19-20.
1. Communicate! (Men!!)
2. Listen to each other Don't jump to conclusions Respect each other by the way we speak to & speak about each other.
3. You have to earn the right to criticize (Quotation).
B. Control Your Temper - Eph. 4:31-32 (kindness) (Jas. 1:20).
C. Control Your Thoughts - Matt. 5:27-28; Phil. 4:8.
D. Control Your Flesh - 1 Ths. 4:3-4.
VI. BOTH PURSUE WISDOM & UNDERSTANDING - Prov. 4:7-8; 1 Pet. 3:7.
VII. BOTH WANT TO BE WHAT GOD WANTS THEM TO BE IN EVERY RESPECT - Matt. 22:37-39; 7:21.
1. Certainly room for improvement in most marriages - even yours!
2. Your marriage can improve & it can succeed!
3. Christ & His church: Our example to succeed in marriage! (Eph. 5:22-33)