Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 Peter 3:3-9
Marriage Killers (2)
1. “Marriages that please God and are pleasing to men are no accident! They do not merely ‘happen,’ but come about as a result of hard work and a commitment by a man and woman to God and to one another. Spouses, are you committed?” (Jarrod Jacobs, The Old Paths, 2/6/11)
2. Continue: 10 Ways to Kill a Marriage (anony.), The Old Paths (Ibid.). (see Part 1)
3. Shall we inherit a blessing, or inherit the wind? 1 Pet 3:8-9; Prov 11:29
VI. Never say “please” or “thank you” (Lk 17:11-19; Eph 5:20).
A. And you will Fail to see Your Marriage as a Blessing, 1 Pet 3:7.
1. Adam: God made his wife for him. Do you see your mate as God’s special blessing just for you? If not, why not? Gen 2:21-23
2. Each answers to the needs of the other, fulfilling and completing.
3. Only the proud and boastful heart is not thankful for his/her spouse, cf. Nabal and Abigail, 1 Sam 25:3, 33, 37.
4. Ruth and Boaz were thankful for each other, Ruth 3:11; 4:11-12.
B. Courtesy and Gratitude Show Thoughtfulness and Care, 1 Tim 4:4.
1. Every husband/wife wants their mate to think about them and see the good things they do for them. Prov 19:22
2. If you don’t or won’t, the good things may stop!
VII. SPEND ALL THE MONEY ON YOURSELF (1 Tim 5:8).
A. Self-Indulgent Greed Destroys Marriage, Prov 15:27.
1. Sacrifice for your wife as Christ loved the church, Eph 5:25.
2. Scatter blessings on your mate instead of hoarding for yourself, Prov 11:24-26; 21:25-26.
3. Greed takes different forms: Gambling, habits that rob family of necessities and a measure of comfort (alcohol, smoking); worldly pleasures, time bandits, etc.
4. Be generous to each other: blessings will return to you, Eccl 11:1-2 (1 Pet 3:9).
VIII. LET THE HUSBAND BE A TYRANT WITH HIS FAMILY (Eph 5:28-29, 33; Eph 6:4; Col 3:21).
A. Husband who does not Honor His Wife is laying the Groundwork for Destroying his Marriage, 1 Pet 3:7.
1. Live joyfully with your wife, Eccl 9:9.
2. “Bone of my bones…” – love her just as you cherish yourself.
B. The Father who Provokes and/or Discourages His Children also Damages His Marriage, Eph 6:4; Col 3:21.
1. Makes it tremendously difficult for his wife to honor and respect him when he is neglectful, overbearing, abusive, unreasonable toward their children (Eph 5:24).
2. Nurture them in the training/admonition of the Lord, Eph 6:4.
IX. LET THE WIFE FAIL TO LOVE, HONOR AND OBEY HER HUSBAND (Prov 31:30; Col 3:18; Titus 2:5).
A. Worthy Woman Yields to her Head from a Meek and Quiet Spirit, 1 Pet 3:1-6.
1. Domineering woman dishonors her husband and her God!
2. The wife who honors her husband by doing “him good” will in turn be trusted by her husband, Prov 31:10-12.
3. Wives: Does your husband know that he is the most important person in your life? How? By showing respectful submission from a gentle spirit you assure your love for him.
X. KEEP GOD OUT OF YOUR MARRIAGE (Josh 24:14-15).
A. God Joined You Together, Matt 19:6.
1. God is the One whose love must surround you, shield you and strengthen you throughout your live together, Phil 4:5-7.
2. It is when God is forgotten that marriages struggle and fail, Mal 2:14-16.
1. “He who troubles his own house will inherit the wind.” (Prov 11:29)
2. One will not be held guiltless who troubles his/her marriage.
a. Repent of every sin that hinders you from being the spouse God wants you to be.
b. “Revive me according to Your lovingkindness, so that I may keep the testimony of Your mouth.” (Psa 119:88)