Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 4
Overcoming Marital Strife
1. To make things "good", God created woman and instituted marriage, Gen. 2:18.
2. God's word warns of the trouble where strife reigns in the home:
a. Contentious, angry wife, Prov. 19:13; 21:9, 19-21; 27:15-16.
b. Jealous husband, Prov. 6:34-35; 27:4; SS 8:6.
3. We know such strife is a work of the flesh, while the fruit of the Spirit conquers it, Gal. 5:20-21, 22-23.
4. Overcome marital strife and replace it with peace and harmony.
I. HAVE THE SAME MASTER AND GUIDE: JESUS AND HIS TRUTH, 1 Pet. 3:15; Jno. 8:12, 31-32.
1. Honor the headship of Christ, Col. 2:19; 1:18. Here is His Guidance:
2. Husband, be the head of your wife: Core Role, Eph. 5:23.
a. Being the servant-leader of your wife will reduce strife! Lead the way out of strife with humility, gentleness, patience, kindness...
b. Wife: Core Response is submission; Follow his lead! Eph. 5:22-24
3. Wife, be the helper/homemaker: Core Role, Gen. 2:18.
a. Fulfill your role and strife is reduced, eliminated and prevented.
b. Husband: Core Response is to honor your wife! 1 Pet. 3:7; Eph. 5:28-29 (cherish her) ["If a man has enough horse sense to treat his wife like a thoroughbred, she’ll never turn into an old nag."831  ].
II. HAVE THE SAME VALUES: SPIRITUAL TREASURE, Matt. 6:19-21; 16:26.
1. Conflict over money: solved when both share the same view of it.
-Otherwise, there will be discontentment, arguments and spiritual trouble, 1 Tim. 6:8-10.
2. Same moral and spiritual values, the Bible, faithfulness..., Amos 3:3.
III. HAVE THE SAME MOTIVE: LOVE. 1 Cor. 13:1-4.
1. Do everything with love, 1 Cor. 16:14.
2. Opposite of love is apathy/indifference; Leads to quarrels, strife...
3. Love is..., 1 Cor. 13:4-8.
IV. HAVE THE SAME ATTITUDE: CONTENTMENT, Phil. 4:11-13.
1. Sufficiency; "I have enough", Gen. 33:11.
2. Is a matter of faith, Matt. 6:25, 30-34; 1 Tim. 6:8; Heb. 13:5.
3. Be content at each station and situation in life. Improve when possible, but be satisfied, 1 Cor. 7:20-21.
V. HAVE THE SAME CARE: FORGIVENESS, Luke 17:3-4.
1. Solution for bitter strife, Eph. 4:31-32. Kind and tenderhearted
2. We all need mercy; should give it to the one who is now "bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh"! Matt. 5:7
3. To forgive we must first listen to each other (to hear the confession, repentance, etc.), Jas. 1:19-20.
-Too often more intent on justifying self and winning the argument than communicating for a godly solution, Jas. 4:1-3.
VI. HAVE THE SAME GOAL: HEAVEN, Heb. 11:10-16.
1. When one spouse is living for the earth and the other for heaven, the yoke is not even and trouble is bound to come, 2 Cor. 6:14.
2. You are either helping or hurting your spouse's chances of going to heaven. Which is it?
1. Wives and husbands have the mutual responsibility to conduct themselves with holiness and grace toward one another, 1 Pet. 3:1-2, 5-7.
2. With a common faith and committed effort your marriage can overcome strife. Otherwise, your marriage will not please God or you.
 Michael P. Green. (2000). 1500 Illustrations for Biblical Preaching (p. 231). Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: February 27, 2015