PREACH THE MAN AND HIS PLAN!
1. One advocate of the 'New Hermeneutic' argues, "mine was the last generation that would tolerate indoctrination." (The 'New Hermeneutic' II, Mark Dunagan). cf. 2 Tim. 2:2
2. What does it mean to "preach the man and not the plan?" Here is an example of this thinking:
"Would it not follow then that anyone who proclaims Jesus as the risen Christ and the Saviour of the world is preaching the good news of the gospel, ALL OF THE GOSPEL? Granted, the likes of Billy Graham may err in not properly instructing people how to respond to the good news by repenting of their sins and being baptized for the remission of their sins like Peter did on the day of Pentecost. But if one preaches Jesus Christ as the Saviour of the world he is preaching the gospel, APART from what he might or might not say about baptism." (Restoration Review, Leroy Garrett, May 1992, p. 288)
3. We cannot preach Jesus without preaching His plan (His commands, pattern) - 1 Tim. 6:3; 2 Tim. 1:13; Rom. 6:17.
4. We must preach the man and His plan!
I. TO PREACH & RECEIVE JESUS CHRIST IS TO PREACH & RECEIVE THE WORD OF CHRIST - Col. 2:6-7; 1 Ths. 2:13.
A. Some Want To Accept Jesus But Reject His Apostles.
1. They say: "But that's just the apostles, it's not Christ!"
2. 2:13 - The apostles preached the word of God! (1 Cor. 14:37)
3. Jno. 13:20 - To receive the apostles' word is to receive Christ.
4. Lk. 10:16 - To reject the apostles' word is to reject Christ.
B. Life In The Son Is Found In The Word Of The Son - Jno. 14:6; 12:48-50; 8:30-36.
1. Jno. 14:6 - Jesus is the Word -- No separation can be made!
2. 12:48-50 - To reject word of Christ is to reject Christ and the eternal life He spoke from the Father!
3. 8:31 - Must abide in His word to be a genuine disciple of Christ.
4. 8:36, 32 - The Son frees us from sin, but freedom from sin comes by knowing His truth (word)!
II. TO PREACH CHRIST IS TO PREACH WATER BAPTISM - Acts 8:30-38.
A. Philip "Preached Jesus" To The Man - 8:35.
-Not Jesus plus a non-essential plan (water baptism) - Mk. 16:15-16.
B. The Man Heard About & Wanted Water Baptism - 8:36-37.
-Not "Christian baptism," H.S., fire, suffering, for the dead
C. Inescapable Conclusion: Preaching Jesus Includes Preaching Water Baptism - cf. Rom. 6:3-4; Gal. 3:27; Col. 2:12.
-One must be baptized in order to reach Christ & His blessings of salvation!
III. TO PREACH CHRIST IS TO PREACH THE CHURCH OF CHRIST - Matt. 16:18.
A. The Value Of The Church Is Seen In:
1. Who built it - Matt. 16:18 (Heb. 3:3).
2. What it cost to purchase - Acts 20:28 (blood of Christ).
3. Who rules over it - Col. 1:18 (its head is Christ).
4. It's relationship to Christ - Eph. 1:22-23 (body & fullness).
B. To Preach Christ Is To Preach His Church - Acts 8:5-13.
1. Things about the kingdom of Christ (Matt. 16:18-19).
2. cf. - Preach on the work of the local church; its organization; its worship.
IV. TO PREACH GOD'S GRACE IS TO PREACH THE WORD OF HIS GRACE - Acts 20:24, 32.
A. Christ Brought Grace & Truth To The World - Jno. 1:14-17.
B. God's Grace Brings Salvation & Teaches Us How To Be Saved:
1. By grace through faith (baptism) - Titus 3:4-6; Eph. 5:26; 1 Pet. 3:21. [Christ has a plan of salvation!]
2. God's grace teaches us how to live - Titus 2:11-12. [Christ has a plan for living!]
3. 1 Pet. 5:12 - This is the true grace of God: The man and the plan!
The only way to know Christ & have the hope of heaven is through "the word of truth of the gospel" - Col. 1:5.