WHAT DO YOU LUST AFTER?
1. Words which we assume carry only a negative connotation, sometimes actually have a "good side" to them.
2. Lust - EPITHUMIA (n) - "desire, craving, longing" - Thayer, 238.
a. EPITHUMEO (v) - "to keep the THUMOS (heat, jrp) turned upon a thing, hence [cf. our to set one's heart upon] to have a desire for, long for...to desire...to lust after, covet" - Ibid.
b. cf. Jas. 4:5 (long for); Rom. 13:9 (covet).
c. "Denotes strong desire of any kind" -Vine.
d. EPITHUMETES - "one who longs for, craver, lover, one eager for" - Ibid. (1 Cor. 10:6 - "a luster after").
3. Lust identifies a strong desire which is ready to express itself in bodily activity - Rom. 1:24; Matt. 5:28.
4. Gal. 5:17 - Lust may be good or bad, depending upon the object of the strong desire.
a. If the desire is godly - the lust is good.
b. If the desire violates truth - the lust is evil.
I. ALL EVIL LUSTS MUST BE PUT TO DEATH - Col. 3:5.
A. The Lusts Of Sin Must Not Be Allowed To Rule In Our Bodies - Rom. 6:12-14.
1. Deny them entrance - Titus 2:12.
2. Reject their allurements - Jas. 1:14.
3. Abstain from fleshly lusts - 1 Pet. 2:11.
4. Ungodly lusts belong to our former way of living - 1 Pet. 1:14-15; 4:2.
B. Young People Are Warned Against Youthful Lusts - 2 Tim. 2:22.
1. Evil desires which would exploit your youth (pride, ambition, flesh, etc.).
2. Young people can flee evil, too!
C. Desire For Anything Which Chokes Out God's Word In Our Life Is An Evil Lust - Mk. 4:19.
1. What is most important in your life, fleshly lusts, or spirituality?!
2. Even strong desire for moral things becomes evil when causes disobedience!
II. SOME THINGS WE OUGHT TO LUST AFTER.
A. Salvation In Christ - Matt. 13:16-17; 1 Pet. 1:10-12.
1. 13:16-17 - Desired (lusted) to see the Messiah's salvation (knowledge of it - 13:10-11, 14-15).
2. 1:10-12 - Salvation in Christ sought by prophets / angels lusted to look upon it.
3. We must lust after salvation! It is available to us!
a. Driving passion of our life - Matt. 6:33.
b. Set our hearts upon it - Col. 3:1-2; Phil. 3:13-16.
B. Worship - cf. Lk. 22:14-16.
1. 22:15 - Jesus lusted to eat Passover with them.
2. We must long for/covet/have strong desire to worship God! - cf. Psa. 84:1-4, 10; Heb. 10:24-25.
C. A Place Of Service In The Church - 1 Tim. 3:1.
1. Tragedy when qualified brethren do not desire to work in the church!
2. Mk. 14:8 - Do what you can! (14:6 - A good work for Jesus!) cf. Matt. 10:42
D. Association With Our Brethren - 1 Ths. 2:17.
1. Rom. 12:10 - Tender affection, prefer.
2. 1 Cor. 15:33 - Lust after proper associations!
3. 1 Pet. 4:8 - Fervent love for each other.
E. Death - Phil. 1:23.
1. Can only set your heart upon death if you are ready for it! - 1 Ths. 5:4-9
2. cf. Lk. 12:19-20 - Being ready for death by having proper priorities in life!
3. Heb. 9:27 - Are you ready for judgment?!
4. Phil. 1:23 - We can desire death, for there we will "be with Christ!"
1. Gal. 5:16-17 - Walk by the Spirit of God - Lust for spiritual things - You will bear the fruit of the Spirit (5:22)!
2. Put to death all evil desires (Col. 3:5).