Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 23:33-38
Remembering Christ's Death as We Eat the Supper
1. Like anything else we do regularly, the LS can become a repetitive reflex rather than a regular remembrance.
2. Jesus commanded disciples to eat the LS “in remembrance of Me”, Lk 22:19.
3. When the supper was being corrupted by division and commonality the HS directed Paul to teach Christians what to do and why to do it, 1 Cor 11:23-26. (Memorial that proclaims Christ’s death)
4. Then, he addressed how we must eat, 1 Cor 11:27-29. Examine self to be certain we are “discerning” Lord’s body (His death).
5. Since the LS is not reflexive repetition but respectful remembrance let us recall some things to be remembering about Christ’s death when we eat the Supper. (Passages we can read and meditate on at table.)
I. REMEMBER GOD’S LOVE AND GRACE AT THE CROSS, Rom 5:6-11.
A. God’s Love in Action and on Display.
-Justification, salvation from wrath through Him, reconciliation - rejoice in God through Christ.
B. We should be Remembering Christ’s Death Accomplished Our Reconciliation with God, Col 1:19-23.
II. REMEMBER THE SUFFERING OF THE SAVIOR, Heb 2:9.
A. Remember His Suffering was Prophesied, Isa 53:3-8 (Acts 8:32-34).
B. Remember His Endurance throughout the Suffering, Matt 16:21; Acts 1:3 (mocking, scourging, crucifixion)
C. Remember Jesus Suffered for Us, 1 Pet 2:21; 3:18.
III. REMEMBER THE SURRENDER OF THE SAVIOR, Phil 2:5-8.
A. Remember His Humble Obedience, cf. Lk 22:40-46.
-In the face of temptation, He humbly obeyed, cf. Jno 18:4-11.
IV. REMEMBER HIS SACRIFICE FOR SINS AT THE CROSS, Heb 9:13-14.
A. Remember He Was the Perfect Sacrifice for Sin, Heb 2:10; 5:9.
B. Remember Jesus Lived to Die for Sinners, Heb 10:5-10, 12.
C. Remember that by His Blood we have Remission of Sins, Heb 10:18.
V. REMEMBER THE SALVATION HIS DEATH PROVIDES, Heb 5:8-9.
A. Remember He Bore the Penalty Due our Sins, 1 Pet 2:24 (Heb 9:28).
B. Remember God was in Christ Reconciling the World to Himself, 2 Cor 5:18-21.
1. God’s eternal purposes were being fulfilled, Eph 3:11-12.
2. Eating the LS is in vain if we forget this!
VI. REMEMBER THE SUCCESS (VICTORY) AT THE CROSS, Lk 23:34, 43; Matt 27:54.
A. Remember His Death Brings Many Sons to Glory, Heb 2:10.
B. Remember His Death Destroyed the Works of the Devil, Jno 12:27-31; Heb 2:14; 1 Jno 3:8.
1. There is so much to remember about the death of Jesus.
2. Our remembrance as we eat the LS ought to embrace the depth of God’s gracious love which was fully expressed in the Savior’s suffering, surrender and sacrifice, for it proved to be successful in offering salvation to all people.
Some Scriptures for the Lord's Table
Isaiah 53:3-8 – The suffering Savior
Rom 5:6-11 – God’s love and grace
Phil 2:5-8 – The Savior’s surrender
Heb 9:11-15 – The sacrifice (blood) of Christ
Heb 5:5-10 – The obedience of Christ
2 Cor 5:18-21 – Reconciliation
1 Pet 2:21-25 – Christ suffered for us
Jno 12:27-31 – Satan is cast out
Lk 23:33-38 – Jesus on the cross