Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Revelation 3:14-22
Lost Religious Men
1. Justified by faith: Peace, grace, hope, Rom. 5:1-2.
2. Is your hope based upon the fact that you are religious (ďGo to church,Ē parents religious, know religious people, etc.)? Jas. 1:26-27
a. Donít trust your religious tradition, Lk. 3:7-9 (cf. Jno. 8:31-45).
b. Donít trust the position & praise of men, Jno. 12:42-43 (Lk. 6:26).
3. You can be religious and be lost! To avoid this, learn from religious people who were lost, & then apply the remedies to be saved.
I. SAUL: A LOST RELIGIOUS ZEALOT, Acts 22:3-4; Gal. 1:13-14.
A. Religious Zeal Without Knowledge will not Save You, 22:3; Gal. 1:14; Rom. 10:1-3.
1. Much learning, but not in truth (theological seminary; PhDsÖ).
2. Religious training not enough to save!
B. A Good Conscience does not Save, Acts 23:1.
1. Thought he was serving God, 26:9.
2. Ignorant! An untaught conscience can deceive us re. salvation! 1 Tim. 1:13
C. Remedy: Apply Zeal in the Right Direction, Ac 22:16; Phil. 3:4-8.
1. When religiously zealous man learns truth, he must use his zeal to obey gospel, Rom. 10:3.
2. Baptized / wash away sins / All things loss.
II. CORNELIUS: A MORAL MAN LOST IN SIN, Acts 10:1-2, 22; 11:14.
A. His Outstanding Moral Character did not Remove his Sins.
1. Moral purity can only save us if we never sin! Rom. 3:23; 6:23
2. God calls on us to be morally pure, Eph. 5:3-11; 1 Pet. 2:11-12.
3. But, present morality does not forgive past sins.
B. Remedy: Combine Proper Obedience with Moral Life, Acts 10:43, 33-35, 48; 11:14, 18.
1. Gospel will save the moral man through faith, 10:43 (11:14).
2. Must repent, & work right. (10:35) -- Baptized (10:48), 11:18.
3. Faith, repentance & baptism.
III. RICH YOUNG RULER: LACKED COMPLETE DEVOTION TO JESUS, Matt. 19:16-22.
A. He had Mastered the Doing, but not the ďBeingĒ of His Religion, Matt. 19:16, 20, 21-22.
1. Eternal life not merited through obedience (Rom. 3:20; Lk. 17:10); yet without obedience we do not have saving faith, Heb. 5:8-9.
2. Obedience must come from a heart that is fully given to Christ (Gal. 2:20).
B. Remedy: Put Jesus First when You Decide to Obey His Commands, Matt. 19:21; Lk. 9:23; 14:33.
IV. PHARISEES: DECEIVED IN SELF-RIGHTEOUS HYPOCRISY, Lk. 18:9-14.
A. A Graphic Warning against Self-Righteousness & Hypocrisy, Matt. 23:3-12.
1. Donít exalt self over others, 18:14 (Rom. 12:16).
2. Donít say but not do, 23:3 (Matt. 15:7-8).
3. Donít bind menís traditions, 23:4 (Col. 2:22-23).
4. Donít act to be seen by men, 23:5 (Matt. 6:2-4).
5. Donít seek honor from men, 23:6-10 (Jno. 12:42-43).
6. Service defines the religious person, 23:11 (Jas. 1:26-27).
B. Remedy: Humble Yourself before God & Men, 23:12 (Jas. 4:6-10).
1. God gives us the chance to humble ourselves; If we do not, God will humble us! Lk. 18:14
2. Humble heart obeys the truth in order to become the kind of person God wants, 23:27-28.
1. We can be religious and be lost!
2. To be saved, we must have: Zeal, morality & full obedience coupled with humility.
3. Only Jesus can save you, Acts 4:12 (H-B-R-C-BÖSaved). Be zealous & repent (Rev. 3:19); be faithful to Jesus (Rev. 2:10).