Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Acts 26:14-20
The Invitation of the Lord
1. The invitation to respond to the gospel of Christ and be saved from sins was central to apostolic preaching (Acts 2:37-40; 3:17-19, 26; 8:35-38; 10:48; 16:30-31; 18:8).
2. We must maintain its place of importance today.
a. Gospel invitations are being heard less and less (Jno. 5:24-25; 6:45; Rom. 10:14)
b. “If you have a need, come forward and let it be known…”
c. “If we can help you in any way, come forward…”
3. Must be urgency, clarity, call to specific obedience of faith in every invitation we offer – every time we preach.
4. Consider the structure and content of the gospel invitation (of all gospel preaching) by a study of Acts 26:18 (16-20).
I. OPEN THEIR EYES: A CALL TO KNOW THE TRUTH, Acts 26:18.
A. The Gospel Invitation to Come to Jesus to be Saved is an Invitation for them to Come to the Truth, Jno. 8:31-32; Eph. 4:20-21; Matt. 11:28-29.
1. Some wonder: What must I know in order to be saved?
2. They are lost in sin…Jesus is Savior/Son of God…His plan of salvation and their need to obey Him now! (Acts 2:36-41; 2 Cor. 6:2)
II. THAT THEY MAY TURN: THE CALL OF CONVERSION, Ac 26:18.
A. From Darkness to Light, Eph. 4:17-19.
1. Expose sin and error: Accomplished with the light of the gospel, Jno. 3:19-21; 1 Pet. 2:9.
B. From the Power of Satan (Sin and Death) to God, Rom. 6:23.
1. Soul-destroying problem exists and people must hear about it!
2. People must come to know they are sinners in danger of eternal death! …And, that God is more powerful than Satan, Heb. 2:14-15; 1 Jno. 3:8.
3. There is a solution to the problem of your sin: Jesus Christ!
III. THAT THEY MAY RECEIVE REMISSION OF SINS: THE REASON AND RESULT OF CONVERSION, Acts 26:18.
A. The Specifics of the Gospel Plan of Salvation:
1. Hear the gospel, Jno. 6:44-45.
2. Believe in Jesus the Christ, Jno. 8:24; 20:30-31.
3. Confess your faith in Christ, Matt. 10:32-33; Rom. 10:9-10.
4. Repent of your sins, Lk. 13:3; cf. Acts 26:20.
5. Be baptized into Christ for the remission of your sins, Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:38; 22:16.
6. THEN…live a faithful life, Col. 3:1-3.
IV. AN INHERITANCE: THE MOTIVATION TO RESPOND, Acts 26:18.
A. People Must Hear about the Future:
1. Resurrection from the dead, Jno. 5:28-29.
2. Personal judgment, 2 Cor. 5:10; Rev. 20:12-15.
3. The eternal destiny of the soul (heaven / hell), Matt. 25:46.
B. Christians have a Living Hope of an Eternal Inheritance, 1 Pet. 1:3-4.
V. SANCTIFICATION: BY FAITH IN CHRIST, Acts 26:18.
A. Obtain Life from the Death of Sin by Faith in Christ, Rom. 1:16-17 (Gal. 2:16).
B. The Call to Holy Living, Rom. 6:17-22.
-There is a great responsibility after conversion to take the yoke of Christ and live for Him, Matt. 11:29-30 (Lk. 9:23).
C. Christianity is a Sacrificial, Obedient way of Life, Gal. 2:20; Lk. 9:57-62; Rom. 12:1.
1. We must present/preach/live it that way!
2. There is great joy and much conflict for the faithful (Phil. 4:4; 2 Tim. 3:12)
1. When we preach the gospel we must offer gospel-based invitations to sinners!
2. The problem (sin) -- the solution (Christ) -- the duty (obey in faith) -- the blessing (salvation)!