Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: 1 John 3:10-18
Challenges in the Local Church
1. Local church is a family. All are children of God and brothers & sisters in Christ Jesus - 1 Tim. 3:14-15.
2. Like any family, challenges / problems will arise. When they do, we can do one of four things:
a. Ignore them (Stick head in sand).
b. Run away from them (Can’t address & overcome controversy).
c. Increase the problem with inflammatory words & actions (motives).
d. Discuss them with open minds, open Bibles & a prayerful, reverent attitude…Eph. 4:1-3.
3. God expects His people to meet the challenges / problems before us & live & serve each other in love & unity – 1 Cor. 1:10; 12:25; 1 Jno. 4:20-21.
4. To solve problems we must know the CAUSE of the problem (so we can treat the cause, not symptoms)!
5. Identify potential problems & overcome them – Acts 6:1-7. (So that challenges can become blessings!)
I. THE CHALLENGE OF COMPATIBILITY – Acts 6:1 (Eph. 2:13-22).
A. Great Challenge Before Us: Many Different People Becoming One in Christ.
1. All different: Our temper, moods, behavior, likes & dislikes vary tremendously!
2. Yet, are to be one! - Rom.12:15-16; 1 Cor. 12:25-26
a. Some say that is “impossible”!
b. Jesus said we could! – Jno. 17:20-23
3. Those who love Jesus will not remain incompatible for long – 1 Jno. 4:10-11.
B. How to Meet this Challenge (solve this problem).
1. Make others a higher priority than ourselves – Phil. 2:3-4; cf. Acts 6:1, 5.
a. “Others, then self.” not “self, then others!” (Jesus – Matt. 20:28)
b. Selfishness causes hurt feelings, blinded to the needs of others, causes indifference, hatred, jealousies, lack of trust, etc.
2. Forgive each other – Matt. 6:14-15.
3. Remember our common relation – Gal. 3:26-28.
II. THE CHALLENGE OF COMMUNICATION – Acts 6:1. (Two related problems.)
A. The Failure to Communicate – 6:1.
1. Don’t have trouble communicating…when we choose to do so.
a. Complaining, grumbling – 6:1.
b. We talk about instead of with – Matt. 18:15; 5:23-24.
c. “Too much talk and not enough talk!” (Jas. 1:19-20)
2. Don’t be afraid to talk with each other!
B. Communicating the Wrong Information.
1. Christian should be interested in facts, not hearsay, gossip, backbiting – 1 Tim. 5:13.
a. Creates barriers – Prov. 16:28.
b. Disorderly conduct – 2 Ths. 3:11.
2. When right things were communicated the challenge was met & the problem solved! – Acts 6:2-5a
3. Speak truth – We are members of each other! – Eph. 4:25
III. THE CHALLENGE OF CONVERTEDNESS – Acts 6:3.
A. Satan is Still in Control Whenever there is Lack of Conversion – cf. Acts 5:1-5, 7-9.
1. “To turn, to turn about, turn towards” (Vine); A turning or change from one state to another.
2. Conversion is a change of heart, life & relationships – Acts 3:19; 26:20. [Heart cleansed (Acts 15:9) Life changed (Rom. 6:4); New relationship (Gal. 3:27).]
B. Conversion Shows in:
1. What we serve – Rom. 6:16-18; 1 Ths. 1:9.
2. Who we serve – 1 Jno. 3:16-18.
3. What is our first concern – Matt. 6:33 (Phil. 3:17-19).
C. Take the Test (2 Cor.13:5):
1. We are not converted when we: Allow materialism/carnal matters hinder our obedience to God (1 Jno. 2:15-17); Hold grudges; Fail to forgive; Fail to repent; Seldom pray; Remain at arm’s length from our brethren in Christ?
2. Solution: Good dose of humility, repentance & conversion! – Rom. 12:1-2
1. This church can meet and overcome every challenge if we have love for truth, love for one another, a desire to learn from & a willingness to obey Jesus!
2. Be an asset to this church by helping to meet our challenges with faith, love and mercy!