Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 24:1-9
Why Seek the Living Among the Dead?
1. The resurrection of Jesus is the foundation and keystone of the gospel, 1 Cor. 15:3-5, 14-19.
2. On that great morning, the angels said to the women: “Why do you seek the living among the dead?” Lk. 24:5
3. Valuable lessons we can draw from this statement.
I. FIRST, THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS IS FACT, NOT FICTION.
-Why seek the living Son of God among the dead people of history?
A. Was Predicted (foretold) by the Old Testament Prophets, Psa. 16:8-11 (Acts 2:25-28, 29-32); Acts 3:18.
B. Was Promised by
C. It Proclaimed (declared) the Deity of Christ, Rom. 1:3-4.
-Knees do not bow to a dead man, but to the living Christ, the Lord, Phil. 2:8-11.
II. THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST IS THE BEGINNING OF THE RESURRECTION OF ALL HUMANITY, 1 Cor. 15:20-23.
-Why seek resurrection among the false (dead) doctrines of men?
A. There Will be Only One Resurrection of All the Dead.
1. Premillennialism has a first and second resurrection, separated by 1000 years, Jno. 5:28-29.
2. One resurrection: “At His coming” (1 Cor. 15:23-25); “last trumpet” (1 Cor. 15:51-54).
B. There is No Endless Reincarnation of Souls, Heb. 9:27 (Rebirth or transmigration of souls). Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Sikhism. Buddhism sees death as the “beginning to a new life through reincarnation. What one will be in their next life is the result of how they lived in their past lives” (https://goo.gl/wFPvNV).
C. Wicked will Exist Forever, Matt. 10:28; 25:46; Rev. 20:10, 13-15.
-Annihilation/No hell doctrines are false, Mk. 9:43-44 (Jehovah's Witnesses, 7th Day Adventists, Universalists, 70 AD doctrine).
III. WHY SEEK THE SPIRITUALLY LIVING AMONG THE SPIRITUALLY DEAD?
-Why seek life in Christ where only spiritual death exists?
A. Water Baptism Marks the New Birth from Spiritual Death into Spiritual Life, Rom. 6:3-4; Eph. 2:1, 4-9.
B. Christians are Tempted to Go to the Spiritually Dead World Searching for the Answers to Life’s Difficult Questions.
1. Seeking spiritual counsel, Col. 2:20-23.
2. Seeking the purpose of life, cf. Eccl. 12:13-14.
a. To find out “who you are,” why you are here, and where you are going.
b. To define spirituality, faith and Christianity.
3. Seeking recreation/relief, Matt. 6:33-34.
-To shape and define our minds, values, and objectives in life (cf. Col. 3:1-4).
4. Christians go to the dead in search of life when we fail to assess this life in terms of Bible truth (2 Pet. 1:3).
C. Why Should Christians Go to the Spiritually Dead?
1. To teach them the gospel to help bring them to life in the Son, Matt. 28:19-20; Jno. 3:3-5. (salvation)
2. To restore the fallen (dead) to spiritual life, Jas. 5:19-20.
1. The living Christ left an empty tomb to testify that He is alive forevermore, with power over Hades and death, Rev. 1:18.
2. Seek Jesus among the living, and find Him.
3. Don’t look for Him where He will never be found: The wisdom, will and death of the world of sin.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: April 13, 2017