LIVING BY FAITH
1. Basically, we only follow one of two courses in life - Matt. 7:13-14;
2. 2 Cor. 5:7 - We either live by appearance (sight) or by faith (trusting dependence):
a. 5:1-8 - Christian lives for heaven!
b. 5:9 - AIM: Be well-pleasing to God.
c. Accomplished as we walk of faith.
3. Three steps, when combined, amount to walking by faith.
I. HEAR WHAT GOD HAS SAID - 1 Sam. 3:10; Mk. 12:37.
A. What God Says is Right - Lk. 8:8 (Psa. 19:8).
1. Lk. 8:18 - Be careful how you hear.
2. Mk. 4:23-24 - Careful what you hear.
3. Be confident (resolved) that whatever God says it right!
B. Hearing What God Says Will Give Us Understanding - Jno. 8:43.
1. Man's wisdom is often contingent, conditional and contradictory.
2. 1 Cor. 1:25 - God's wisdom is clear, concise & capable of saving
C. God Speaks to Us in the Gospel of His Son - Heb. 1:1-2; Jno. 12:48; 1 Pet.
1. Word of the cross (1 Cor. 1:18-21).
2. Eph. 3:3-4 - Understanding of truth is available to us if we will
only HEAR (listen)!
II. BELIEVE WHAT GOD HAS SAID - Acts 8:35-37.
A. Trust God's Word - Mk. 5:22-24, 35-36.
1. Jairus told to trust Jesus rather than men - Daughter was raised!
2. Likewise, we trust God's word on every subject to bring us God's
B. Trust God's Power - Matt. 9:27-30.
1. Depend on His power rather than our own.
2. Heb. 11:6 - He will reward believers.
III. OBEY WHAT GOD HAS SAID - Matt. 4:4.
A. Faith Saves When Faith Obeys.
1. Jas. 2:14, 17, 20, 24 - Faith that saves is active - Acts upon what
it hears from God & believes about God.
2. Heb. 11:4f - Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham
3. Faith without loving obedience is like car without gasoline: It goes
nowhere! - cf. Gal. 5:6-7
IV. TAKE THESE STEPS AND YOU WILL BE WALKING BY FAITH! (Eph. 2:10 ? 4:1, 17; 5:2,
10, 15; 1 Jno. 1:7)
A. Walk by Faith (cf. Epistle of James: Practical Christianity):
1. In the trials & temptations of faith - 1:2-16.
2. Pure, moral living - 1:19-27.
3. Fairness toward men - 2:1-13.
4. Speech - 3:1-12.
5. Self-restraint - 4:1-10.
6. Treatment of brethren - 4:11-12.
7. Remember the will of God - 4:13-17.
8. Patience - 5:7-11.
9. Prayer - 5:13-19.
10. Converting sinners - 5:19-20.
1. Living by faith means hearing, believing & obeying God in all that we
think, say & do! (2 Cor. 5:7)
2. Practice your faith:
a. To be saved - Rom. 10:13-14.
b. To be a disciple of Christ in every part of your life (parent, child, husband,
wife, employer, employee, servant of others).
c. To be a more faithful Christian.