Textual Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Amos 5:21-27
(What God do you carry with you?)
1. Amos 5:25-26 – From the time of the wilderness wanderings Israel had been essentially idolaters!
2. Israel’s hypocritical service to God was exposed, rebuked by God’s prophets & punished by captivity – Amos 5:21-24 (Hos. 6:4-6).
3. The sin of worshipping the golden calf at Sinai was blatantly obvious (Exo. 32:1-10).
4. Amos 5:25-26 – Their idolatry also took on more subtle forms:
a. 5:25 – “Did you offer me sacrifices…” – Implied answer is “No, for your worship was mingled with idolatry even then.”
b. 5:26 – Israel carried around little shrines – pocket idols – with which they satisfied their personal superstitions [Acts 7:43 – Molech (“your king” or king of heaven) & the “star god”].
5. The seed of idolatry had been sown in Egypt, nurtured in the wilderness, & bore its full fruit in the land of Canaan (from which the God of hosts expelled His idolatrous people, Amos 5:27).
6. What secret gods (pocket idols; little gods) have we brought with us out of the world & carry with us as we travel to the Promised Land?
7. Our worship of God is not genuine & acceptable as long as we carry with us the gods we have made for ourselves!
I. THE SECRET OF MONEY - 1 Tim. 6:6-10 (Col. 3:5)
-Cannot serve two masters – Matt. 6:24
o Those who trust in riches will not be saved – Mk. 10:21-27
o Use $ to serve others – Lay up treasure in heaven – 1 Tim. 6:17-19
-Whenever material things take 1st place in our hearts & lives!
o It is an attitude toward material things (Matt. 6:21; 1 Tim. 6:6)
o It is a forgetfulness of God who blesses us – Deut. 8:11-20
-Practical results of carrying this god with us:
o Complacency toward God & others – Amos 6:1-8
o Could be my unwillingness to give as prospered (1 Cor. 16:2)
o Could be the church treasury (cf. Judas, Jno. 12:6) – Hoard it rather than use for preaching, benevolence, edification
-Carry with us the priorities of righteousness! (Matt. 6:33)
II. THE SECRET GOD OF HUMAN WISDOM – 1 Cor. 1:17-21]
-When “wisdom” of words (rhetoric) convinces us – 1 Cor. 1:17; 2:1-5
o Smooth words & flattering speech – Rom. 16:18; 1 Ths. 2:4-5
o Trust in sophistry (rhetoric) instead of Scripture – (1 Cor. 1:17)
o The secret god of preachers (1 Cor. 1:12)
-When the “wisdom” of academia persuades us – Col. 2:8
o Philosophy (“love of wisdom”; free pursuit of knowledge) – 1 Tim. 6:20 (versus word of truth – Jno. 8:32; 17:17)
o Results in no judgments, no moral absolutes, etc. – Only opinion
o Can lead to sophistry (rhetoric), wisdom of words (1 Cor. 1:17)
-By elevating human wisdom we show our foolishness! – Rom. 1:22
-Carry with us the wisdom of God! (Rom. 11:33-36)
III. THE SECRET GOD OF HUMAN TRADITIONS – Col. 2:8
-When things men hand down are held as if they are from God
o Instrumental music in worship; saved w/o baptism; social gospel practices; etc.
o No appeal for Bible authority heard here! (1 Pet. 4:11; Col. 3:17)
o “We’ve always done it that way!” (Meeting times, # of songs, etc.!)
-When tradition is taught as the commands of God – Matt. 15:7-9
o Creeds & false doctrines which define who you are religiously
o “Church of Christ-ism” – “the church teaches…” or “church doctrine is…” No! – Acts 2:42; 1 Cor. 14:37
-Carry with us the divine traditions! – 2 Ths. 2:15
IV. THE SECRET GOD OF PLEASURE – 2 Tim. 3:4
-When we take pleasure in unrighteousness – 2 Ths. 2:11-12
o Deceived by the lie that pleasure sets you free!
o Self-indulgence in fleshly lusts – 1 Pet. 4:1-3
o All such pleasure is passing, unfulfilling & deadly – Heb. 11:25
-When pleasure in good things comes before (take the place of) God
o Sports, recreation, work, family… 1 Tim. 4:7-8; Matt. 10:37-39
-Carry with us what pleases God! – 2 Cor. 5:9; Phil. 2:13
V. THE SECRET GOD OF SELF - 2 Tim. 3:2
-When we refuse to sacrifice for Christ – Lk. 9:23
o Life is “as I define it” – Lk. 9:24; cf. Jno. 12:25-26
-When we refuse to be humble before God & man – Jas. 4:6-8
o Cf. Nebuchadnezzar – Dan. 4:30-32 (all we have is from God!)
o The god of pride (1 Jno. 2:15-16)
o The god of popularity (Jno. 12:42-43)
-Carry with us self-denial & humility before the God of hosts!
1. Josh. 24:15 – Choose whom you will serve! – 1 Pet. 2:5 (Priests: We must offer acceptable sacrifices to God!)
2. Cannot carry little gods around with us and expect an eternal reward!
3. “…be sure your sin will find you out” as it did Israel – Eternally punished!