Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Hebrews 4:11-16
1. Christians face real dangers (from without & from within ourselves):
a. Drifting away from the gospel through neglect Heb. 2:1-3.
b. Hardening of our hearts due to sin Heb. 3:7-13.
c. Not growing in Christ Heb. 5:12.
d. Becoming lazy Heb. 6:11-12.
e. Willful sin Heb. 10:26 (12:1).
2. Hebrews assures us of the superiority of Jesus Christ, the complete redemption we have in Him & the sure hope that anchors us.
3. Heavenly home is set before us & for which we are to live (11:13-16).
4. In the mean time, we must live by faith. Hebrews helps us do so.
5. Let us is used 12 times in Hebrews (NKJV): We are in this together, & we can & are to be helping one another (Eccl. 4:9-12).
I. LET US FEAR Heb. 4:1.
A. Be Watchful, Have Cautious Care Not to Miss Heaven.
1. If we were in danger of losing our life, we would be cautious!
2. Heb. 3:16-19 Israel was not watchful & careful to faithfully obey God, & they died in wilderness (disobedience is unbelief, 3:18-19).
3. We can die in the wilderness of sin & lose heaven, too 4:11.
a. Sin is deceptive; disobedience lulls us to sleep!
b. 1 Cor. 16:13 Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave & strong.
c. 1Ths. 5:1-11 Edify each other with exhortation to be watchful!
II. LET US BE DILIGENT Heb. 4:11.
A. Because of the Possibility of Being Lost (Due to our Unbelief) cf. Heb. 4:6; 2 Pet. 1:10
B. Because of the Promise of Rest Heb. 4:9-10; 2 Pet. 1:11 (Jno. 9:4); Rev. 14:13. He who promised is faithful, Heb. 10:23.
III. LET US HOLD FAST OUR CONFESSION Heb. 4:14 (3:6, 14; 10:23).
A. We Must have Endurance to be Saved Lk. 21:19 (preserve, keep).
1. Constancy of faith, zeal of service Heb. 6:11-12.
2. Patience by obeying God Rev. 12:17; 13:10; 14:12 (3:10-11).
3. Patient faith does not shrink back Heb. 10:36-39.
IV. LET US COME BOLDLY TO THE THRONE OF GRACE Heb. 4:14-16.
A. Prayer is a Great Blessing to Help us Endure cf. Jas. 5:13.
1. Instead of being overwhelmed pray!
2. Mercy (divine compassion) is available to us.
B. Prayer is the Expression of a Confident Faith 4:16.
1. Boldly Assuredly, cheerful courage, w/o reservation.
a. Because of our High Priests sympathy 4:15.
b. Because of our trust in His salvation & intercession 7:25.
2. Anxiety disables faith, so pray in faith Phil. 4:6-7.
V. LET US GO ON TO PERFECTION (maturity) Heb. 6:1.
A. Stunted Growth Hinders Faith Heb. 5:13-14.
1. To the point of falling away 6:4-8.
2. Growth accompanies salvation 6:9-12.
B. Set for Yourself the Goal of Spiritual Maturity Phil. 3:14.
-Nobody accidentally goes to heaven; nobody accidentally grows.
VI. LET US DRAW NEAR TO GOD Heb. 10:22 (13:13).
A. Live With God: True Heart & Fully Assured Faith 10:22.
1. Heb. 13:5-6 He wont forsake us; will we forsake Him?
2. Forsake Him if: We disobey Him; negligent in duty instead of patient; fail to pray in faith & mature in Christ.
VII. LET US CONSIDER ONE ANOTHER Heb. 10:24-25.
A. Consider: Be Attentive of Each Other (Phil. 2:3-4).
1. To stir up (incite) love & good works.
2. Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together:
a. Forsake: Leave behind, abandon, desert
b. Assembling: Gathering together in one place (1 Cor. 14:26).
3. Why? Worship God (Acts 20:7) & be edified (1 Cor. 14:26)
VIII. LET US LAY ASIDE EVERY HINDRANCE Heb. 12:1.
A. Repent of Every Sin; Renew our Heart & Commitment Acts 8:22.
B. Run our Race with Endurance 12:2 (Faith in Jesus look to Him).
IX. LET US SERVE GOD WITH GRACE Heb. 12:28. (Joy, gladness & thankfulness, 1 Jno. 5:2-3).
-Continual sacrifice of praise Heb. 13:15.
-Give careful attention (the more earnest heed)! (Heb. 2:1)
a. No escape if we neglect our salvation in Christ, Heb. 2:3.
b. Fearful for sinner to fall into the hands of God, Heb. 10:31; 12:29.