1. God has favored man with His words of instruction: True and for our benefit.
2. Stubbornness of sin prevents us from learning the lessons of truth and godliness; Reverent humility will yearn for them - cf. Rom. 2:4-5.
I. LEARNING LESSONS THE HARD WAY - Prov. 13:15-16.
A. By Making Wrong Choices:
1. Choosing sin - (the experience of practicing sin).
a. Gen. 3:6 - Eve and Adam. (1 Jno. 2:15-17; 1 Cor. 7:23)
b. Num. 13:30-14:1 - The spies and Israel.
2. Choosing for the moment w/o assessing future effects (priorities).
a. Lot - Prosperous move, depravity of S. and G. - Gen. 13:10-13; 19:5- 9, 14, 16; 2 Pet. 2:7-8.
b. Work: Will it compromise my faith?
c. Mate: Will they help my chances of going to heaven?
d. Friends: Will they support me in making godly decisions?
B. By Repeating The Same Mistakes (Sins) Over and Over and Over.
-(cf. Eveready bunny: keeps going and going and going!) - Not learning!
1. Period of judges (Jgs. 2:11-19).
2. Scribes and Pharisees - Matt. 23:29-32.
C. By Following Feelings Instead Of Faith - Prov. 14:12; Acts 26:9.
II. LEARNING LESSONS THE RIGHT WAY.
-(Not Necessarily "easy", but Prov. 13:15.)
A. Learn From The Past - Rom. 15:4; cf. Matt. 11:20-24.
B. Learn From The Circumstances / Examples Of Others - Jno. 9:3; 1 Cor. 4:6
C. Learn By Asking Questions Of The Right People - cf. 1 Cor. 14:35.
D. Learn By Listening To The Word Of God - Jno. 6:45; Prov. 1:1-7 (v. 5); 4:20-5:2 (cf. Neh. 8:1-12; Jno. 8:43); Eph. 4:20-21.
1. By studying God's word - Psa. 1:1-2.
2. Repetition - 2 Pet. 1:12-15; Phil. 3:1.
E. Learn By Doing - Matt. 11:29.
1. By obeying God's word - Jno. 8:31-32; cf. Phil. 4:11.
2. By shunning evil - Prov. 1:10-15; 4:14-15.
F. Learn Through Discipline - Heb. 12:5-6, 11; 1 Tim. 1:20.
-(Instruction and correction).
1. A disciple is a learner and a follower. Be a disciple of Jesus.
2. Commit yourself to learning the lessons taught to us in the word of His grace (Tit. 2:11; Acts 20:32). Hear and obey Jesus now!