Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 26:1-9
1. It is wise to continue to learn throughout life, Prov. 1:5.
2. Learn: “To learn by use and practice, to be in the habit of, accustomed to” (Thayer).
3. We can learn but never come to know of truth, 2 Tim. 3:7.
I. SINNING IS LEARNED BEHAVIOR.
A. Sin is not Inherited and is not Forced Upon Us, Ezek. 18:4.
1. Sin results from choice(s) we make, Rom. 5:12.
2. Sin involves action (verbal), 1 Jno. 3:4.
3. Illus. Israel sinned by learning the works of the Canaanites, Psa. 106:34-39.
4. Why stress is laid on separating ourselves (2 Cor. 6:16-7:1).
B. We Learn the Immediate Pleasure Sin Brings, and Sin Rules Us as we Practice It, Heb. 11:25; 2 Thess. 2:12 (pleasure).
1. Sin teaches us to return to it is by bringing an immediate reward (satisfaction), cf. Gen. 3:6.
a. Sin’s “addiction” is learned by constantly choosing its temptations, Jas. 1:15. (Pornography, sensuality, covetousness)
b. Sin brings death, Jas. 1:15-16.
2. This is the way sin rules over us (as we “obey” it), Rom. 6:12.
3. The “hook” that draws us back, again and again.
C. God Always Warns Us Against Learning Sin, Jer. 10:1-2.
1. Not the ways of the angry man, Prov. 22:24-25. (Destructive)
2. Not war, Isa. 2:4 (Jas. 4:1-3). Covetous desires and pleasures.
3. Not to be idle, 1 Tim. 5:13. Gives rise to more sins.
4. Not to blaspheme, 1 Tim. 1:2o.
II. GODLINESS IS LEARNED BEHAVIOR, Isa. 1:16-17 (19); Matt. 9:13.
A. God’s Judgments in the Land Gives Us Opportunities to Learn, Isa. 26:9.
1. Great commission and teaching, Matt. 28:19-20 (11:29).
2. Exactly how the Father draws sinners to Christ, Jno. 6:44-45.
B. God Always Encourages Us to Learn What is Good.
1. From the Scriptures, Rom. 15:4; 2 Tim. 3:14-17.
2. Learn God’s doctrine, Isa. 29:22-24 (Acts 2:42; 2 Tim. 2:2).
3. Learn piety at home, 1 Tim. 5:4. Honor, respect (repay, give back).
4. Learn to maintain good works, Tit. 3:14 (8). (Heb. 13:21)
5. Learn to be content, Phil. 4:11-13. (Filled, sufficient)
6. Learn obedience through suffering, Heb. 5:8-9.
7. Learn in quietness with all submission, 1 Tim. 2:11-12. (Women are to learn with quiet attentiveness rather than seizing control to teach over men.)
8. Learn Christ, Eph. 4:20-21.
III. WHAT TO DO WITH WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED?
A. Learning What is Good Still Demands Choosing to Practice What We Learn, Ezek. 18:26 (Heb. 5:12-14).
B. Sin, Although Learned, Can Be “Unlearned,” Ezek. 18:27-28, 30-31.
1. Different choices produce different outcomes. (repent, turn, cast away sins…new heart and spirit – Live)
2. Slaves of sin can become slaves of righteousness, Rom. 6:17-18.
1. Let us continue to live what we learn, 2 Tim. 3:14.
2. “The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you” (Phil. 4:9).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted January 22, 2019