Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 1 Timothy 1:12-16
How Do I Know I Am Saved?
1. Salvation is the gift of God, given "by grace, through faith", Eph. 2:8-9.
2. We can be deceived into thinking we are saved when the Scriptures say we are not. Saul of Tarsus is the prime example, but not only one.
3. Learn how to know when we are saved and when we are lost.
I. SAUL OF TARSUS, 1 Tim. 1:15-16.
A. Many Say they are Saved because they Feel Saved, Acts 26:9.
1. The way that seems right is often wrong, Prov. 16:25.
2. Foolish to trust your heart, Prov. 28:26.
B. Some Say they are Saved because they have a Good Conscience, Acts 23:1; 26:9-10. (Saul did that, too.)
1. Saul was zealous and religiously active, Acts 22:3.
2. Saul was true to his convictions, Acts 22:4-5; 26:9-11.
3. No doubt, Saul felt good about himself when he thought he must do many things against Jesus, Acts 26:9.
4. Yet, Saul had sin along with his good conscience, Acts 22:16.
C. Some Say they are Saved because they are Religiously Active, Acts 22:3 (zealous toward God); Phil. 3:4-7.
-Saul was without Christ although he was very active in his faith.
D. Some Say they are Saved because they Pray, Acts 9:9-11.
1. Saul prayed earnestly for 3 days and nights after seeing Jesus.
2. Yet, this prayerful, fasting man still had sin, Acts 22:16.
E. When did Saul Know he was Saved?
1. He didn't know it when being led blind to Damascus.
2. He didn't know it when praying and fasting for three days.
3. He didn't know it until after he was baptized and his sins were washed away, Acts 22:16.
II. THOSE WHO MURDERED JESUS, Acts 2:37-41.
A. Some Say they are Saved because they are Sorry for their Sins.
-They are convicted of their crime, but that did not save them.
B. When did they Know they were Saved? Acts 2:40-41
-When they received and obeyed the word of the gospel.
III. CORNELIUS, Acts 10:1-6.
A. Many Say they are Saved because they are Good, Moral People.
1. Good neighbor, kind and generous, respectful of God and men.
2. Good people are lost due to sin, Acts 10:6, 22; 11:14.
B. When was Cornelius Saved?
-When he obeyed what he was commanded he "must do", 10:47-48.
IV. APOLLOS, Acts 18:24-28.
A. Some Say they are Saved because they Know Much of the Bible.
1. They are fervent and active, but lack accuracy concerning the things of the Lord, Acts 18:25.
2. The sum of God's word is truth; the whole counsel of God must guide us, Psa. 119:160; Acts 20:27.
B. When did Apollos Know he was Saved?
1. After he learned the accurate way of the Lord (that Jesus is the Christ), Acts 18:26.
2. Cannot reject Jesus as the Son of God and be saved, Jno. 8:24.
3. Cannot reject Christ's word and still receive Him; Jno. 12:48.
V. THE DISCIPLES OF JOHN, Acts 19:1-7.
A. Some Say they are Saved because they were Already Baptized.
1. The issue is, whose baptism was it; Christ's or another's? Eph. 4:5
2. When they learned the truth they obeyed Christ and His baptism.
B. When did these Disciples of John become Disciples of Jesus?
-When they obeyed Jesus and were baptized by His authority for His purpose (salvation), Acts 19:5.
VI. THE JAILER, Acts 16:30-34.
A. Many Say they are Saved because they Believe (faith only).
1. Faith is necessary to be saved; but not just faith, Jas. 2:24.
2. Confess faith, repent and be baptized, Rom. 10:9; Acts 2:38.
B. Many Say they were Saved before and without being Baptized.
1. They put off being baptized, thinking they are saved at the point of faith, cf. Jno. 12:42-43; Jas. 2:19.
2. Why are you waiting? Acts 22:16 (intending to, but delaying)
C. When was the Jailer Saved? Acts 16:34 When he fully believed.
VII. HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU ARE SAVED?
A. When You Do what God Says You Must do to be Saved, 1 Jno. 2:3-5.
1. When you receive His word and are baptized, Acts 2:40-41.
2. When you obey the truth you are purified, 1 Pet. 1:22-23.
B. You Know You are Saved Because God Says You are Saved, Heb. 5:8-9; Gal. 3:26-27.
Are you saved? When you believe and obey the word of Christ you will know for certain you are saved, because the Bible tells you so.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: June 16, 2015