1. Many say: "I know God." Do they? Do you? What does it mean to
2. Know - "to become acquainted with, to know" (Thayer, 117); "to
know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of" (Online Bible Dictionary).
3. It is important, because:
a. To know God is eternal life - Jno. 17:3.
b. Those who do not know God are eternally punished - 2 Ths. 1:8-9.
4. To know God means to have knowledge of God and to have a relationship with Him.
I. KNOWING GOD MEANS HAVING A RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM WHICH IS BASED ON AN
UNDERSTANDING OF GOD.
A. One Can Have Knowledge About God, Yet Not Know God.
1. Jno. 8:19 - They had knowledge of God, but didn't understand &
have fellowship with either the Father or the Son!
2. Jno. 15:18-21; 16:1-3 - Apostles & saints persecuted because the
world didn't "know" the Father.
a. Cf. Saul - Had knowledge about God, but didn't
"know" God while he was persecuting the church - l Tim. 1:12-14.
b. Did it ignorantly in unbelief.
B. Jesus Came to Earth Was to Reveal God to Man - Jno. 1:18.
1. Col. 1:15 - To give man a clear manifestation of God.
2. This is essential, for until one has a knowledge of God, he cannot
"know" Him (enter a relationship with Him).
C. When We Know Christ, We Know the Father - Jno. 14:6-9.
1. Before we can know Christ (enter relationship with Him), we must
learn of Him - Jno. 6:45.
2. Likewise, to have a relationship with the Father (know God), we must
first learn about Him - cf. Heb. 11:6.
a. Through nature we learn His divinity - Rom. 1:20; Acts
b. Through revelation we learn His will - 1 Cor. 2:1, 13.
3. But, learning of God isn't all there is to knowing Him - Rom.
II. TO KNOW GOD MEANS TO HAVE AN UNDERSTANDING OF GOD & TO BE OBEDIENT
A. When We Obey God We Know God - 2 Ths. 1:8; 1 Jno. 2:3-6.
1. 2:3 - Keep commandments. Jno. 14:23 - Relationship formed.
2. 2:5 - Keep word - Love of God in our lives.
3. 2:6 - In fellowship with God when we walk as Christ did.
B. When One Knows God He Accepts the Apostles' Teachings - 1 Jno. 4:6.
1. Contradiction to say we are pleasing God if we are rejecting the
inspired message! - 2 Jno. 9
2. NT (apostles' writings) instructs us how to walk (live) as Christ
walked (lived) - 1 Jno. 1:3-4; 2:5-6.
C. To Know God Means to Be in Christ - 1 Jno. 5:20.
1. Can not know God & reject His Son Jesus Christ.
2. Gal. 3:26-27 - Be baptized into Christ through faith.
III. IN THIS UNDERSTANDING, OBEDIENT RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD, WE SHOULD KNOW
A. God Knows Us.
1. Psa. 139:1-4 - God is acquainted with everything about us (our
actions, thoughts, words).
2. Jno. 10:14 - This enables Him to care for us.
3. Gal. 4:8-9 - In Christ, He recognizes us as His children (4:5).
B. God Loves Us - 1 Jno. 4:9-10.
1. He still loves us in spite of our sins against Him!
2. 4:7-8 - Therefore, we must love one another in the same way to know
God! (Even when others do us wrong!)
C. God Sees Us (our every need).
1. And, He will always provide them.
2. Matt. 6:8, 32 - Of this we can be assured.
3. Heb. 13:5 - He is always nearby to help.
4. Matt. 7:7-8, 11 - Tap our source of blessings!
1. Do you know God? Perhaps you know about God, but do not really know Him (have a
relationship with Him).
2. Change that right now by obeying the gospel of Christ in faith & allowing God to
come into your life (Gal. 3:26-27).