Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Luke 1:26-33
The Kingdom of Christ
1. OT predicted a king ruling over insurmountable kingdom: Psa. 2:6-7; 110:1-3; 132:11; Isa. 9:6-7; Dan. 2:44; 7:13-14; Lk. 1:30-33.
2. Many do not believe the kingdom of Christ was established during NT times or that it exists today. They look & pray for a kingdom to come.
a. Kingdom: “Sovereignty, royal power, dominion...a realm”; “the territory subject to the rule of a king.”
b. Either His kingdom exists today or it does not; Either Jesus, as King, is sovereign ruler over His kingdom today, or He is not.
3. The presence of the kingdom of Christ is real & forever changes the life of the person who enters it (Heb. 12:28).
1. Jesus announced the approach of the kingdom.
-Matt. 4:17: Coming kingdom was “at hand” (near, close, Matt. 6:18, 46; 2 Tim. 4:6) – Lk. 10:9.
-Matt. 12:28: Presence of the Spirit of God = Kingdom set before them (Isa. 11:2; 42:1).
2. Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom.
-Matt. 4:23: Good news of the kingdom (Lk. 9:11). Matt. 5-7, citizenship.
-Matt. 13:10-11, 18-19: Gospel is the “word of the kingdom” that teaches us how to live in the kingdom.
3. Jesus identified His kingdom.
-Matt. 16:16-19: The church of Christ is the kingdom of Christ!
-Matt. 16:18, 28: The church would be built…Son of Man would come in His kingdom.
-Eph. 1:20-23: Fulfillment of Dan. 7:13-14…church is His kingdom!
4. Jesus identified the nature of His kingdom.
-Jno. 18:36: Not of this world…
a. Spiritual (spiritual relationship; meets spiritual needs of mankind) – Lk. 17:20-21; Rom. 14:17; cf. 1 Pet. 3:15 (heart...life).
b. Superior to the kingdoms of earth – Dan. 2:44.
c. Eternal in its duration - Lk. 1:33.
5. Jesus prophesied the establishment of the kingdom.
-Mk. 9:1: That generation would see the powerful arrival of kingdom.
-Lk. 12:32: The Father’s good pleasure to give “you” the kingdom.
-Fulfilled on Pentecost – Lk. 24:49; Acts 1:6-8; 2:1-4 (47).
-Kingdom of Christ exists now…we don’t look for future establishment.
6. Kingdom was proclaimed as present by apostles & prophets.
-Acts 8:12: Things concerning the kingdom of God (see above).
-Acts 20:25: Paul preached kingdom of God…gospel of grace (20:24).
-1 Ths. 2:12: God is calling people into His kingdom (1 Cor. 1:9 – into fellowship with Christ; Fellowship with Christ is in God’s kingdom!).
-Rev. 1:9: John a companion (partaker, participated) with brethren in the kingdom of Christ Jesus.
7. Remission of sins is obtained in the kingdom.
-Rev. 1:5-6: Ruler over kings washed us in His blood (Does Jesus ruler over kings but not over the saved? (A “ruler” without a “kingdom”?!!)
-Rev. 5:9-10: Redeemed form a kingdom that reigns (triumphs) on earth.
8. Salvation depends on entering the kingdom.
-Lk. 16:16: Pressing toward it for salvation (Lk. 13:23-24).
-Jno. 3:3-5: Entrance into the kingdom essential for salvation.
-Acts 13:32-39 (Psa. 2:7 fulfilled): Mercy…forgiveness of sins.
-Col. 1:13: Delivered out of darkness & conveyed into the kingdom.
-Acts 2:47: Saved are added to the church (the kingdom).
9. Our daily purpose & priority must be the kingdom of God.
-Matt. 6:33: Our duty is to advance the kingdom of Christ among men.
-Do this by making the King’s will our priority of life.
-Our interests, motives, objectives & conduct are for its honor & advancement! As a result, Christ is advanced!
-Lk. 9:62: Establishes our acceptance in the kingdom.
1. Kingdom of Christ exists, it is mighty & its glory secure – Heb. 12:28.
2. We must live in Christ’s kingdom NOW in order to enter heaven LATER – 2 Pet. 1:10-11.
3. Hear God’s call to enter His kingdom & obey the gospel now.