Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Psalm 2:1-7
The King, His Kingdom and You
1. The prophets PROMISED a king (2 Sam. 7:12-13). God would ANOINT His king (Psa. 2:6-7). This king would RULE over an eternal kingdom (Dan. 7:13-14).
2. Jesus fulfilled prophecies: Acts 3:24-26 (Promise kept, anointed, rules today). Jesus is King, not in promise or prospect, but in fact.
3. Why do people look for a future fulfillment of what has already happened?
a. Deceived by false doctrine.
b. Misunderstand the nature of the King & his kingdom (Jno. 6:15).
4. Reinforce faith by reviewing evidence that the King is ruling today & looking at the nature of His rule (kingdom).
I. THE KING IS ON HIS THRONE.
A. The Kingdom Exists Today, Mk. 1:15; 9:1; Acts 1:8; 2:1-4.
1. From Pentecost, the kingdom exists, & one can partake in it (Col. 1:13; Rev. 1:6, 9).
2. His church, Matt. 16:18-19.
3. Jesus was not a false prophet (Mk. 9:1).
B. The King is on His Throne, Acts 2:29-36 (Lk. 1:31-33).
1. Exalted: Davidís son on His throne, 2:29-31, 33.
2. Reigning: Messiah in His kingdom now, 2:34-36 (Psa. 110:1-2).
C. The King Now has All Authority, Matt. 28:18; Eph. 1:21-23 (Psa. 2:8-12).
1. It must be admitted that if the King is not reigning NOW, He does not have ALL authority NOW.
2. Since HE DOES; HE IS.
D. The King Will Continue to Rule until the Last Enemy (Death) is Abolished, 1 Cor. 15:24-28.
1. 2nd coming of Jesus is the END (15:24), not the BEGINNING!
2. At His return, kingdom is DELIVERED UP to God the Father, not ESTABLISHED on earth, 15:23-24.
3. Reigns until death is subjected, 15:25-26 (resurrection, 15:22).
4. With death abolished, God reigns eternally (heaven), 15:28 (24).
II. THE NATURE OF CHRISTíS KINGDOM, Dan. 2:34-35, 44-45.
A. A Spiritual Kingdom, Jno. 18:36; Lk. 17:20-21.
1. Not political (nationalistic); Not ethic (cf. Jews); not militaristic.
2. Fills the earth by means of the gospel, not force, Zech. 9:10; Isa. 2:3-4.
B. A Kingdom in Which Mercy is Found & Obtained, Isa. 55:3-5.
1. Sure mercies of David: Those promised to David & accomplished through his seed, the Christ.
2. Fulfilled, Acts 13:32-34. The King offers & gives mercy for the soul (13:38-39) to the people (Jews, Isa. 55:4) & the nations (Gentiles, Isa. 55:5).
C. A Kingdom Where Peace and Safety Reigns, Isa. 9:6.
1. Fulfilled in salvation of Christ, Isa. 11:6-10; Rom. 15:12.
2. Peace with God must first exist if men are to be at peace with each other.
a. Peace with God & man, Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:14-18.
b. You can enjoy the peace of the kingdom now!
D. A Kingdom that is Everlasting, Dan. 2:44 (Lk. 1:33).
1. Not 1,000 years, then over.
2. We already have such a kingdom, Heb. 12:28 (22-23).
a. Its endurance gives us confidence.
b. Produces reverent lives of service (Psa. 110:3).
1. Christís kingdom is His church (Matt. 16:18-19).
2. Christ reigns on His throne with all authority.
3. When Jesus returns & abolishes death, He will deliver up the kingdom to God the Father as it passes into the eternal realm of existence.
4. You can have the blessings of His kingdom: Mercy (salvation), peace, safety & eternal life by obeying the King now. Matt. 13:44-46