The Day of Judgment
1. There will be a day of judgment Heb. 9:27; 2 Cor. 5:10.
2. Some object to the day of judgment since, at death, one either receives torment or comfort Lk. 16:22-23.
3. Things that will occur on the day of judgment which ought to cause each of us to prepare for that day.
I. THERE WILL BE A DAY OF JUDGMENT.
A. Jesus Matt. 10:15; 11:22, 24; 12:41-42.
B. Apostles & Prophets of Christ:
1. Paul Acts 17:31; 24:25; Rom. 14:10.
2. Peter 1 Pet. 4:5; 2 Pet. 3:7.
3. John 1 Jno. 4:17.
4. Jude Jude 6.
C. It Will be the Last Day Jno. 12:48.
1. Judgment is not at the moment of ones death 2 Pet. 2:9.
2. Following the resurrection Rev. 20:13.
D. Assured of its Approach by the Judges Resurrection Acts 17:31.
II. THE JUDGE & THE STANDARD.
A. Judge: Jesus Christ Acts 17:31; 2 Tim. 4:1.
B. Standard: Word of God (Divine Truth) Rev. 20:12 (Rom. 2:2).
1. Gentiles before cross: Truth revealed to them Rom. 2:12.
2. Jews until the cross: Law of Moses Rom. 2:12.
3. All men since the cross: Gospel Rom. 2:16; Jno. 12:48; Heb. 1:1.
III. EVENTS OF THE DAY OF JUDGMENT.
A. All Humanity Will Stand Before God (Judgment Seat of Christ) Rev. 20:12; 2 Cor. 5:10.
B. The Divine Standard of Judgment Will be Opened Rev. 20:12.
C. The Divine Record of the Faithful Will be Opened Rev. 20:12, 15.
D. Each Person Will be Judged by the Divine Standard Rev. 20:12.
1. Give account of ourselves to God Rom. 14:12 (cf. Matt. 7:22-23).
a. Our heart (motives) 1 Cor. 4:5 (Rom. 2:16).
b. Our words Matt. 12:36-37.
c. Our deeds 2 Cor. 5:10 (Rev. 20:12-13).
E. Each Person Will Receive Their Just Reward Rom. 2:5-11 (righteous & impartial); 2 Cor. 5:10; 2 Ths. 1:8-10 (Rev. 20:15).
IV. WHY A FUTURE DAY OF JUDGMENT?
A. The Glory & Honor of Christ Will Be Recognized Phil. 2:9-11; 2 Ths. 1:10.
B. The Justice of God Will Be Served & Acknowledged 2 Ths. 1:4-8.
1. Ungodly will be convicted of their sins Jude 15.
a. Sinners will have their sins fully exposed 1 Tim. 5:24 (cf. Matt. 7:22-23; 25:44-45)
b. The proof (evidence) of their sin will be clearly set forth.
c. Convinced & brought to shame over their sins.
2. Righteous will have their good works made obvious 1 Tim. 5:25 (cf. Matt. 25:38-40). Obtain eternal rest (2 Ths. 1:7; Rev. 14:13).
3. Thus, the justice of Gods judgments will be fully vindicated!
-(cf. Rev. 16:5-7 True concerning ancient judgments True of final judgment!)
C. The Victory of Righteousness & the Defeat of Evil Will be Complete cf. 1 Cor. 15:25-26; Rev. 20:14.
1. Rev. 19:1-2 Since it was true of the overthrow of the ancient persecutors of the saints, so it shall be on that Great Day!
2. Rev. 14:1-13 Triumph scene of the redeemed & defeat of foes (persecutors of that day) foretells the FINAL GREAT DAY!
-14:12-13 Our incentive to remain faithful!
D. Eternal Sentence Will be Pronounced Matt. 25:31-34, 41, 46.
1. Judgment delayed is not judgment escaped! 2 Pet. 3:7-9
2. Will you tremble yet remain lost in your sin (like Felix)? Or will you heed to call to repent (like the men of Nineveh)?
3. Repent & obey the gospel lest, on the day of judgment, you fall into the hands of the living God! Matt. 10:28; Heb. 10:31; 12:29