Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: John 12:42-50
Jesus is Proof There is a God
1. Why do you believe in God? (1 Pet. 3:15)
2. How do you convince someone that God is real, that the Bible is His word, & that Jesus of Nazareth is the Son of God?
3. The answer lies in the evidence that supports the conclusion.
a. Evidence is on display & must be assessed.
b. Cant force anyone to believe; can urge them to consider & accept the evidence.
4. How one assesses the evidence about God provides an assessment of himself. Who says there is no God? (Fool, Psa. 14:1; wicked, Psa. 10:4)
5. Will you be persuaded there is a God? One line of evidence is Jesus.
I. FAITH THAT GOD EXISTS IS BASED ON EVIDENCE Heb. 11:6, 1.
A. The Evidence of the Material World Heb. 11:3; Rom. 1:20.
1. God provides evidence for us to assess Isa. 40:25-26.
2. Things that are made (nothing comes from nothing, Psa. 19:1).
B. The Evidence of Jesus Jno. 17:1-4.
II. JESUS IS EVIDENCE THAT GOD IS REAL Jno. 14:9-11.
A. To Believe in Jesus One Must Believe in God Jno. 12:44-45.
1. In a very real & substantial sense, Jesus is the evidence & reason to believe in God.
2. When it is established that Jesus is the Son of God then the existence of God is immediately established (Jno. 1:1-2).
3. Have not seen God; Revealed by Jesus, Jno. 1:18 (Col. 1:15; Heb. 1:3)
4. In a very real & substantial sense, Jesus is the evidence & reason to believe in God Jno. 12:44-45 (cf. Matt. 1:21).
B. There is Evidence that Jesus is the Son of God Matt. 16:13-17.
1. Father has given evidence that Jesus is His Son Jno. 5:37; 8:18.
2. Peter had correctly assessed the evidence Matt. 16:16-17.
3. We must assess the evidence Jno. 7:51.
C. The Evidence that Jesus is the Son of God (Jno. 5:18; 10:30-36).
1. Works of Jesus (Jno. 5:17; 3:2; 5:36; 10:37; 20:30-31).
a. Enemies did not deny his miracles, but attributed them to devil Jno. 11:47-48 (Matt. 12:22-24).
b. If they were fraudulent, why didnt they attack the works?
c. Instead, they killed Jesus Jno. 11:49-50, 53.
2. Words of Jesus (Jno. 10:37-38; 8:13-14; cf. 7:46, 18). (Matt. 7:28-29)
3. The sinless life of Jesus Jno. 8:46.
a. He claimed to be God (Jno. 8:58).
b. Yet, it took liars to convict him! (Matt. 26:59)
D. If Jesus is the Son of God, then there is a God Cf. Jno. 8:19; 14:6-11
1. A non-existent God has no Son!
2. The evidence is valid: Jesus really is the Son of God, & God is real!
3. Example of one who considered the evidence & drew conclusion Matt. 27:54.
4. Can you judge what is right? Lk. 12:54-57
III. WHY DO PEOPLE REJECT THE EVIDENCE THAT JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD? (Jno. 12:37)
A. It Does Not Agree with Human Wisdom 1 Cor. 1:21-25.
1. Pride Psa. 10:4.
2. God is excluded from consideration (Rom. 1:22, 28).
B. It Means there is an Objective Standard of Truth & Morality (Jno. 18:37) Jno. 14:6 (1:1, 14).
1. Jesus is definite, absolute truth Jno. 12:46.
2. Many love darkness of sin rather than light of truth Jno. 3:19-21.
C. Some are Unwillingness to Do What He Says Jno. 7:16-17.
1. Jesus demands a decision of conscience from all who encounter Him (words & works) & the evidence about Him.
2. You cannot remain neutral about Jesus! Matt. 12:30
3. Will you have faith built on evidence, or will you deny Him?
D. It is Not What Some Have Always Believed Jno. 1:45-46.
1. Unwilling to come to the truth because it admits past error.
2. Jesus calls on everyone to do that to be saved! (Repent Lk. 13:5)
E. It Means Loved Ones Who Do Not Believe in Jesus are Lost in Sin Jno. 3:16-18.
1. Truth about Jesus does not make anyone a sinner (Rom. 5:12).
2. Jesus is the way of salvation for all (you & loved ones).
3. If you reject the truth about Jesus, you are in sin, too! (Jno. 3:18)
F. Because of what Others will Say or Do Jno. 12:42-43.
What will you do with Jesus? What will He do with you? (Jno. 12:38, 47-50)