Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 16:8-15
"Jesus Never Said Anything About..."
1. Some think that unless Jesus personally and specifically taught on a subject while on the earth, then NT teaching on that subject is not binding on them today.
2. This is a failure to understand the nature and authority of His word, as well as the authority of His apostles and prophets.
a. Jesus said much more through the Holy Spirit, Jno. 16:12-13.
b. The apostles spoke and wrote His commands, 1 Cor. 14:37.
c. To receive apostles is to receive Jesus, and vice versa, Jno. 13:20.
3. The “Jesus never said anything about it” approach to the Scriptures approves conduct based on silence of the Scriptures, Heb. 7:13-14.
4. Look at some things it is commonly said that Jesus said nothing about. We must make correct, Scriptural applications of the truth.
I. “JESUS NEVER SAID WHAT KIND OF MUSIC TO USE IN WORSHIP.” (Yes He did.)
A. The Music We Offer in Worship Must be in Spirit and Truth, Jno. 4:24. (Only worship in “spirit” and in “truth” is acceptable.)
B. Apostolic Truth (revealed by HS) Teaches Approved Worship.
1. Vocal music: Singing, Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16; Heb. 2:12.
2. Singing that is:
a. Congregational (not choruses, solos, etc.), Eph. 5:19.
b. Psalms (sacred ode), hymns (religious), spiritual songs (not secular).
II. “JESUS NEVER SAID DENOMINATIONS ARE SINFUL.” (Yes, He did.)
A. Jesus Prayed for Unity; Denominations are Divisive, Jno. 17:20-21.
B. Jesus Built One Church; Denominations are Many, Matt. 16:18 (Eph. 4:4; 1:22-23).
C. Denominations Add Another Meaning to “Church,” Heb. 12:23; Acts 14:23. (Less than universal, and more than local.)
III. “JESUS NEVER SAID GAMBLING IS SINFUL.” (Yes, He did.)
A. It Violates the Law of Love, Matt. 7:12 (22:39).
B. It Violates the Law of Labor, 1 Thess. 4:11-12.
C. It is Driven by Covetousness (lack of contentment), Lk. 12:15; Heb. 13:5; Col. 3:5.
IV. “JESUS NEVER SAID HOMOSEXUALITY IS SINFUL.” (Yes He did.)
A. By Teaching the Truth about Creation, Mk. 10:6; Gen. 1:27-28.
B. By Teaching the Truth about Marriage, Matt. 19:3-6.
C. By Teaching the Truth about Sin, Mk. 7:20-23.
-Fornications (porneia): Sexual immorality (Gal. 5:19).
D. Jesus also Spoke on this Subject through His Apostles and Prophets, Rom. 1:24-28; 1 Cor. 6:9-11; Jude 7; Heb. 13:4.
V. “JESUS NEVER SAID DANCING IS SINFUL.” (Yes, He did.)
A. Two Kinds of Dancing are Referred to in the Scriptures.
1. Prodigal son’s return: Expressions of joy and worship, Lk. 15:25. (choros: “a ring, i.e. round dance (“choir”),” (Strong’s Greek Dictionary, I:78); Exo. 15:20-21.
2. Herodias’ daughter: Excited sinful passions and lust, Mk. 6:22.
* 3. Which dance occurs at the prom? On the bar’s dance floor?
B. Jesus Spoke of the Heart that Produces Sinful Dancing, as Well as the Conduct Itself, Mk. 7:22.
1. Lewdness (lasciviousness): “Unbridled lust,” sinful abandon, such as “indecent bodily movements, the unchaste handling of males and females, etc. (Fritzsche), Ro. 13:13” (Thayer, 79-80). Gal. 5:19; 1 Pet. 4:3
2. Modern dance is designed to incite lust, and is surrounded by incentives to lust: Dark, alcohol, immodest clothing, etc.
3. Warnings against lust: Matt. 5:28; Rom. 13:13-14; 1 Jno. 2:16.
4. Careful of your influence/example, Matt. 5:13-16; Eph. 5:8-11; 1 Tim. 4:12.
1. The teaching of the apostles is the teaching of Christ.
2. Not all sins are specified in the text, but by definition and application, they are necessarily included (cf. Gal. 5:21: “and the like”).
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: July 12, 2017