Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 19:1-10
Why Jesus Came to Earth
1. We sing the familiar song: “Why did my Savior come to earth?”
2. There were real reasons why Jesus came to earth, Lk. 19:10.
I. CHRIST CAME TO FIND US: “The Son of Man has come to seek...”
-Seek (zeteo): "of patient and hopeful expectation, as may be seen in the parable of the unfruitful fig-tree (Lk. 13:6 ff.)."  Lk. 15:4
A. Jesus Came to Earth to Find the Lost Sheep of the House of Israel, Matt. 15:24. cf. Zacchaeus, Lk. 19:1-10 (9-10)
1. God searched for and found lost sheep of Israel who were in Babylon, Ezek. 34:11-16.
2. Foreshadowed the Good Shepherd, Ezek. 34:23-31.
3. Jesus came to earth to find His lost sheep. cf. Matt. 9:35-38
B. Jesus Came to Earth to Find the Lost Sheep not of this Fold, Jno. 10:16 (Gentiles, Matt. 15:21-28; 8:10).
C. Jesus Came to Earth to Find Sinners, Matt. 9:9-13.
1. To show compassion, Lk. 15:1-7.
2. To show us that God values every sinner, Lk. 15:8-10.
3. To show us that God is always ready with mercy, Lk. 15:11-24.
a. When we will have faith and know our need for mercy, Lk. 15:11-17.
b. Repent of our sins against God, Lk. 15:17-21.
4. Once He found us in sin He acted to save us, Jno. 1:11-13.
D. Jesus Came to Earth to Sacrifice Himself for Our Sins (world), Jno. 1:29; Heb. 10:4-10.
II. CHRIST CAME TO FORGIVE US: “...and to save...”
-Save (sozo): Deliverance and safety (to deliver from danger and to protect from harm). cf. Ezek. 34:27
A. Those who Believe, Jno. 8:23-24. Heb. 11:6
B. Those who Confess Faith, Rom. 10:9-10.
C. Those who Repent, Lk. 13:1-5. Acts 2:38 (Matt. 9:11-13)
D. Those who are Baptized, Mk. 16:16.
E. Those who Obey Jesus, Matt. 7:21-23; Lk. 6:46. Heb. 5:8-9
III. CHRIST CAME TO FREE US: “...that which was lost.”
-Lost (apollumi): ruined, destroyed
A. From Sin’s Bondage and Death, Rom. 6:17-18, 12-14.
B. From the Fear of Death, Heb. 2:14-15.
C. From Satan’s Deception, 1 Pet. 5:8-10.
1. Christ came into the world to save sinners, 1 Tim. 1:15.
2. That is why we call His name “Jesus” ("Jehovah is salvation"; "Savior"), Matt. 1:21.
3. Remember: Zacchaeus "sought to see Jesus" (Lk. 19:3) - Seek God, and you will find Him! (Acts 17:27)
-(Basic Outline by Mark Posey)
 Kittel, G., Bromiley, G. W., & Friedrich, G. (Eds.). (1964–). Theological dictionary of the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: July 3, 2014