Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Revelation 5:8-14
The Blood of Jesus
1. Life is in the blood, Lev. 17:11.
2. Blood is used to represent life (a metonymy: “a figure of speech in which one word or phrase is substituted for another with which it's closely associated,” grammar.about.com).
3. In the Bible, “blood” often stands for life itself, Gen. 9:4.
a. Remember, crucifixion was a relatively bloodless execution. (The literal blood that came out of the body of Jesus on the cross was proof He was already dead, Jno. 19:33.)
b. “Blood of Jesus” stands for His death (giving up of His life) and its spiritual benefits.
4. The “sprinkling of blood” connotes applying and obtaining the benefits of the death of Jesus, Heb. 12:24; 1 Pet. 1:2.
5. Christians must know what the blood of Jesus (His life) has done and is doing, Eph. 1:7.
I. THE BLOOD OF JESUS Dedicated the New Covenant, Matt. 26:28; Heb. 9:15-22.
A. His Death Authorized the Dispensing of His Inheritance, Heb. 9:16-17. (Will or testament: Identification, disposition and distribution of assets, properties, etc.)
B. It is an Everlasting Covenant, Heb. 13:20.
II. THE BLOOD OF JESUS Cleanses SINNERS OF Sin, Heb. 9:13-14, 22; 1 Jno. 1:7; Rev. 1:5 (12:11).
A. Redemption, 1 Pet. 1:18-19; Eph. 1:7; Col. 1:14; Heb. 9:12 (offering to God, Rev. 5:9; 7:14).
B. Sanctification, Heb. 10:29; 13:12.
C. Justification, Rom. 5:9.
D. Propitiation, Rom. 3:25. Escape wrath, Rom. 5:9.
E. Reconciliation [to change, so, to change from enmity to friendship; atonement ("at-one-ment")], Rom. 5:10; Eph. 2:13.
F. Peace with God, Col. 1:20 (brought near to God, Eph. 2:13; Heb. 10:19-20).
III. THE BLOOD OF JESUS Purchased the Church, Acts 20:28.
A. The Ownership of the Church, Matt. 16:18. (Not our church)
B. The Value Christ Places on His Church, Eph. 5:25-26.
-cf. The value we must place upon the church; the love we must have for it.
1. When we think of the blood of Jesus, we must envision the life Jesus sacrificed for us.
2. Without the shedding of blood (the giving of life) there is no remission of sins, Heb. 9:22.
3. Jesus died so you can live. Will you live? Rom. 6:3-4
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: July 13, 2016