[Part 15](Scripture: Mark 16:1-11)
JESUS OF NAZARETH: HIS RESURRECTIONIntro. 1. "By any measure, the resurrection of Jesus is the most radical of Christian doctrines" (Kenneth L. Woodward, Newsweek, 4/8/96:61).
2. For centuries the accuracy of Biblical record of the bodily resurrection of Jesus has been studied, debated, objected to & believed.
3. Mk. 16:4-7 (9, 12, 14) - The empty tomb & the appearances of the risen Christ are set forth in the NT as the two strands of evidence by which we are persuaded & in which we take comfort (Acts 1:3).
I. THE RESURRECTION OF CHRIST:
A. Was Foretold By The Old Testament Prophets.
1. Psa. 16:8-11 Þ Fulfilled (Acts 2:25-28; 29-32).
2. Psa. 2:6-7 Þ Fulfilled Acts 13:29-39 (Isa. 55:3; Psa. 16:10).
3. Such a teaching meant the Christ would suffer & die - something unthinkable in the Jewish mind - Acts 17:2-3 (3:18); Matt. 16:21-22
B. Was Promised By Jesus (Matt. 27:63) - Jno. 2:18-22; Matt. 16:21; Jno. 11:25.
C. Declared The Deity Of Jesus - Rom. 1:3-4 (Jno. 10:30-36).
-Phil. 2:5-11 - Knees bow, not to a dead man, but to the living Christ, our Lord!
II. HIS RESURRECTION:
A. Defeated Satan - Gen. 3:15; Acts 2:23-24.
1. Heb. 2:14-16 - The devil, who had the power of death, was defeated by Christs death (and subsequent resurr.).
2. 2 Tim. 1:10 - He abolished death (Jno. 11:25-26).
B. Is The Foundation Of The Gospel - 1 Cor. 15:3-5.
-Without it, there is no "good news" - cf. Lk. 24:17-24.
C. Is The Basis For Our Hope Of Resurrection - 1 Cor. 15:12-19.
1. "The early Christians claimed that in the Risen Christ, the Glory of Yahweh was made manifest in a new and unexpected way. It revealed the dawn of a new creation -- the church -- and a new hope, that in Christ everyone could reliably expect his or her own resurrection from the dead." (Ibid., 70)
2. 1 Cor. 15:52-57 - Glorious expectation.
III. MONUMENTS TO THE RESURRECTION.
A. The Lords Supper - Matt. 26:26-29.
1. Christs promised participation w/ His disciples in the Supper implies His resurrection - W/o it, He could not do so!
2. 1 Cor. 11:26 - Proclaim His death "till he come" (Can only "come" if He is now alive!).
B. The First Day Of The Week - Acts 20:7.
1. On it He was raised - Mk. 16:1-2, 9.
2. On it His exaltation was announced - Acts 2:32-33, 36.
3. On it His disciples gather to worship Him - Acts 20:7.
C. Water Baptism - Rom. 6:1-6.
1. v. 4 - Die to sin, raised to new life.
2. v. 5-6 - United with Christ in the likeness of His death & freed from the bondage of sin.
3. Col. 2:12 - To be baptized expresses a faith that God will raise you from your death in sin by the same power that raised Jesus from the dead!
4. Hows your faith? Will you put it into action & be baptized?
Conclusion Rom. 10:9-10 - The belief that saves is in the fact that God raised Jesus from the dead. That belief will lead to righteousness as we confess our faith & obey His commands.