|(Jesus of Nazareth: Part 11)
JESUS OF NAZARETH:
HIS LAST SUPPER WITH THE TWELVEIntro.
1. Lk. 21:37-38 - For 4 days after His triumphal entry into Jerusalem Jesus was teaching in the city & lodging at Mt. of Olives.
a. Matt. 26:1-5 - Knew what was about to happen - told disciples.
b. Matt. 26:14-16 - Judas conspires to betray Him.
2. Lk. 22:7-13 - Passover arrived - Arrangements made.
3. The events of the evening are historic & filled with meaning. See the selfless nature of Jesus in the face of impending danger.
I. JESUS SETTLED A DISPUTE CONCERNING SUPERIORITY (Lk. 22:24-30; Jno. 13:1-17) .
A. The Dispute & Suggested Causes. (Lk. 22:24 - "Who is greatest?")
1. Possible reasons for contention at this time:
a. "Who shall occupy the chief seats of honor at the Passover?"
b. "Which disciple should wash the feet of the other disciples & of the Master?" (Jno. 13:1-5)
2. Other similar disputes among them - (Mk. 9:33-37; Matt. 18:1).
3. Underlying reason for such disputes: Improper view of the nature of the kingdom.
a. Matt. 20:20-21, 24-28 - Honor in kingdom! Greatness measured by service & humility.
b. Lk. 22:28-30 - They would equally serve in positions of respon. in His kingdom (Spiritual relationship / Apostles / Fellowship with Christ).
B. Jesus Personified His Lesson On The Greatness Of Humble Service.
1. Lk. 22:27 - Jesus' life was one of service!
2. Jno. 13:4-5 - Served disciples by washing their feet!
a. Customary gesture of courtesy (Lk. 7:44).
b. Synonymous with humble service (1 Tim. 5:10).
3. Jno. 13:12-17 - Meaning of this action:
a. Not to establish foot-washing as an act of worship!
b. v. 12 - "Do you understand the meaning....?"
c. v. 13-15 - "Example" of service they must give each other!
d. v. 17 - Know -- Blessed if you do them!
4. l Pet. 5:5 - Must gird ourselves with humility & serve!
II. JESUS IDENTIFIED HIS BETRAYER (Matt. 26:20-25; Jno. 13:21-30).
A. Judas Succumbed To Satan's Temptation To Betray Jesus - Jno. 13:2.
1. Jno. 6:70 - Judas had gradually become hardened against Jesus.
a. Jno. 12:4-6 - Hypocrisy & covetousness.
b. Matt. 26:14-16 - Motivated by covetousness.
B. Jesus Told His Disciples Of The Betrayal - Matt. 26:20-25.
1. Jno. 13:23-27 - Privately to John.
2. v. 27 - Total surrender of Judas heart to Satan!
3. v. 27 - Jesus is in control!
III. JESUS INSTITUTED THE LORD'S SUPPER (Matt. 26:26-29; Lk. 22:14-20).
A. The Comparison Of Jesus & Passover Lamb - cf. l Cor. 5:7.
1. Sacrificed to provide the passing over of sins!
2. He gives new meaning to the emblems:
a. Unleavened bread (Exo. 12:8) - My body - Lk. 22:19.
-Eat in remembrance of Him.
b. Cup (Fruit of the vine) - My blood - Matt. 26:27-28.
-Contents, not container which is emphasized.
-His blood dedicated a new covenant.
-Poured out for remission of sins.
-A communion with Christ - v. 29 (l Cor. 10:16).
-A kingdom event!
3. Our observance honors His sacrifice, His unselfishness & allows us to commune with Christ in a special & specific way!
IV. JESUS GAVE PERSONAL ADMONITIONS (Lk. 22:31-38).
A. Peter Given Encouragement Despite Upcoming Denial - Lk. 22:31-34.
1. Jesus didn't berate/belittle Peter - Prayed for / encouraged him.
2. l Ths. 5:14 - Our example!
B. Prepared Disciples For Difficult Times - Lk. 22:35-38.
1. v. 35-38 - Were widely accepted, now, face opposition.
2. 2 Tim. 3:12 - Endure!
C. He Promised Them The Comforter - Jno. 14 (esp. v. 31).
1. Ability to endure persecution!
2. Jno. 14:16-18, 26, 27 - Comforter would give them assurance of divine presence, inspiration, peace.
1. Just hours before His arrest, etc., Jesus continued to express His love for disciples (Jno. 13:1).
2. Jno. 13:15-17 - Let us learn & practice the example of loving, humble service Jesus left for us!