|(Jesus of Nazareth: Part 9)JESUS OF NAZARETH:
THE MASTER TEACHER
1. Lk. 4:14-15 - Teaching characterized Jesus ministry.
2. The consummate teacher - cf. Jno. 13:13 ("Teacher").
3. From His characteristics & methods of teaching we learn to be teachers. (The
Teacher teaches us Gods word & how to teach it!)
I. A TEACHER WHO CAME FROM GOD - Jno. 3:1-2.
A. Jesus "Teaching Certificate" - Jno. 6:26-27.
1. Seal - "Sign of authority" or validity.
2. His signs & miracles - Gods seal (stamp) of approval
- Jno. 3:2; Acts 2:22.
3. He taught heavenly truth from Father - Jno. 3:11-12; 8:23-30.
4. Can confidently trust Him & His validated, confirmed,
authorized, heavenly teaching!
5. He authorizes us to teach His truth - Matt. 28:18-20; 2 Tim.
B. Yet, Many Did Not Accept His Teachings - Jno. 6:60, 66; 12:37-38.
1. Jesus did not become discouraged with teaching.
a. He always looked for & saw the possibilities, not
the hindrances - Jno. 4:35.
b. Like Him, we must be teachers who arent
2. Rejection of His message did not mean Jesus was a failure as a
a. Jno. 17:4 - A success!
b. 1 Cor. 3:6 - Be planting & watering....God will give
II. HIS CHARACTERISTICS & METHODS AS A TEACHER.
A. A Burning Desire To Teach The Word Of God - Jno. 9:4-5.
1. Until we have such desire we wont equip ourselves to teach,
nor will we be teaching others!
a. Must begin expecting it of ourselves - Jesus does! -
b. Must appreciate its benefits - Rom. 10:14-15.
2. Great things can be done when we have sufficient desire &
B. Jesus Taught With Humility & Also With Authority.
1. Lk. 22:27 - He served others. His manner of teaching shows his
humility before the Father & His word - Jno. 12:49-50.
a. No trace of arrogance heard from His lips.
b. 2 Tim. 2:24-25 - The way we must teach, too!
2. Yet, Jesus spoke with authority - Matt. 7:29 (Lk. 4:32).
a. Straightforward, having support of the Father.
b. He did not side-step controversial issues (mdr, Matt.
19:3; how to be saved, 19:16-22; taxes, Matt. 22:17; etc.).
c. We must speak Gods word w/ His authority - Tit.
2:15; 2 Tim. 4:2.
d. How? By not going beyond apostolic teaching - Gal.
1:8-9; 1 Cor. 14:37; Phil. 4:9; 2 Tim. 2:2.
3. Humble teaching is not timid teaching - Matt. 23:13ff.
a. It is teaching with an attitude which respects God &
the authority of His word.
b. An attitude which promotes truth, not self.
C. Jesus Taught Without Respect Of Persons - Matt. 22:16.
1. Jno. 7:32, 45-46 - Despite threat of arrest & death, He
2. We must not shrink back, but without partiality teach the whole
counsel of God - Acts 20:20; 1 Tim. 5:21.
3. Do not fear consequences - Matt. 10:27-31.
D. Jesus Taught With Genuine Concern For The Souls Of The Lost - Matt. 9:10-13; Lk.
1. He loved people & knew the value of their souls.
2. Our motive to teach must be identical to His!
1. Like Nicodemus, "we know" Jesus was/is a teacher who came from God.
2. Shall we follow His teachings?! Shall we become like our Master? (Lk. 6:40)