|(Jesus of Nazareth: Part 8)JESUS OF NAZARETH: HIS
(Mk. 9:2-9; Lk. 9:28-36) - The transfiguration of Jesus presents Him in His glory
& teaches us of Jesus relationship with the Father, his purpose on earth &
what He is able to do for us (mankind).
I. THE EVENTS OF THE TRANSFIGURATION - Matt. 17:1-9.
A. What Is A Transfiguration?
1. Trans - Across; Figure - To form; To change into another form (Vine).
2. His appearance was changed: Face & garments (Matt. 17:2); garments (Mk. 9:3, fuller - launderer); Face altered (Lk. 9:29).
B. Why Did Jesus Take Only Three Disciples?
1. So-called inner circle of disciples (Peter, James & John: Jairus daughter, Lk. 8:51; Gethsemane, Matt. 26:37).
2. Peter (confessed His deity - Matt. 16:16); John (disciple whom He loved); James (1st apostle killed, Acts 12:2).
3. Possible reasons:
a. Guard the desired privacy until proper time - 17:9.
b. Increasing their faith would help the faith of other apostles (17:16-17).
c. Insure best final results - 2 Pet. 1:16-18 (2 or 3 witnesses, 2 Cor. 13:1).
C. Moses & Elijah Appeared With Jesus - Matt. 17:3.
-Lk. 9:30-31 - Had glorious countenance as well; conversation (Matt. 17:3).
D. The Reaction Of The Disciples - Matt. 17:4.
1. Lk. 9:32 - Asleep when transf. began; woke up & saw His glory.
2. Lk. 9:33 - Peter suggested 3 tents (shelter for the night).
-v. 33 - Not knowing what he said....Because of fear - Mk. 9:6.
E. The Voice Of The Father - Matt. 17:5.
1. Cloud enveloped all, causing disciples to fear - Lk. 9:34.
2. The Fathers statement - (Matt. 17:5; Mk. 9:7; Lk. 9:35).
3. Matt. 17:6-8 - Disciples afraid, comforted.
F. Jesus Commanded The Disciples - Matt. 17:9.
1. Tell no one until His resurrection - cf. Matt. 16:20.
a. Divine testimony still in progress - cf. 16:17.
b. Apostles not yet equipped to properly teach about this event.
c. His resurrection would validate the claim & event (He is Christ).
1. Jno. 17:24 - Our goal must be to be with Christ in heaven so we can behold His glory forever!
2. Hear Him!