|(Jesus of Nazareth: Part 7)
JESUS OF NAZARETH: HIS MIRACLES Intro. 1. Matt. 4:23-25 - Miracles of Jesus thrilling & faith-producing.
2. All who would be saved by Jesus must acknowledge His divine power (His miracles):
a. We either have trustworthy accounts of His miracles, or....
b. We have been duped by frauds! - cf. 2 Pet. 1:16
3. Lk. 5:17; Acts 10:38 - Jesus worked miracles by the power of God!
I. WHY DID JESUS WORK MIRACLES?
A. To Establish (Give Evidence Of) His Messiahship.
1. Matt. 11:3-6 (Isa. 35:3-6) - Blessings of Zion were revealed.
2. Matt. 8:16-17 (Isa. 53:4) - Healings from Messiah had come.
3. Matt. 12:22-28 - The Son of David (His kingdom come).
a. v. 23 - Speculation of crowd.
b. v. 28 - Cast out demons by Spirit of God - Kingdom has come upon (among) you.
4. Jno. 10:24-25, 37-38 - His miracles told them that He is Christ! - cf. Matt. 16:16-17 (How Peter knew who Jesus was!)
5. Matt. 21:14-16 - The people perceived that His miracles showed Him to be the Son of David sent to deliver them!
B. To Bring People To Faith In Jesus As The Son Of God - Jno. 5:36-37.
1. Acts 2:22; 10:38 - Approved of by God.
2. Jno. 3:2 - Teacher who came from (sent by) God.
3. Jno. 11:39-45 - Purposeř Faith / Resultř Faith!
4. Jno. 20:30-31 - Record of His miracles exists for same purpose!
II. EFFECTS HIS MIRACLES HAD - Acts 10:38 (Isa. 61:1).
A. They Show His Glory - Jno. 2:11 (1:14).
1. Glory - "primarily signifies an opinion, estimate, & hence, the honour resulting from a good opinion" (Vine).
2. His miracles manifest His nature:
a. His power, grace, knowledge, love, compassion, etc.
b. His deity!
c. Thus, they reveal the glory/honor we should give Him!
3. Matt. 15:30-31 - The people glorified God.... today, too!
B. They Show (Establish) His Authority To Forgive Sins - Mk. 2:4-12.
1. v. 4-5 - Faith demonstrated - Sins forgiven.
2. v. 6-7 - "Only God can forgive sins."
3. v. 8-12 - Demonstrates His nature by the miracle -- Only God can heal...only God can forgive sins -- Jesus is God!
4. Lesson: He can/will forgive us when we come to Him in faith!
C. They Show His Power Over Satan - Matt. 12: 25-29.
1. His superior power was shown as He cast out demons.
2. Purpose: Bind Satan & spoil His goods - 1 Jno. 3:8.
3. Lesson: We can go to Jesus for relief from the power of Satan (sin & death) - Matt. 11:28.
D. They Show Gods Mercy & Compassion - Matt. 14:14.
1. Mk. 5:18-19 - Gods mercy.
2. Learn to be merciful by learning the miracles of Jesus!
3. Lesson: Spiritual healing only comes from Jesus! - 1 Pet. 2:24
1. Jno. 11:45-47 - What will you do with the miracles of Jesus?
a. Believe in them & His Messiahship - Obey Him to be saved? Or......
b. Cast them aside and face eternal death?
2. Jno. 12:37-38 - Let His miracles have their effect upon your life!