|(Life of Christ, Part 3)
JESUS OF NAZARETH:
FROM CHILDHOOD TO ADULTHOOD
1. With the birth of Jesus, Immanuel came into the world. His advent
a. Planned before time (Eph. 1:4).
b. Announced by angels (Matt. 1; Lk. 1; 2:8-14)
c. Signaled by a star (Matt. 2:1-2).
d. Paid homage by wise men & shepherds.
2. Throughout the events of His birth, Joseph & Mary observe with
quiet wonder & devotion, privileged to participate in these unique events.
3. As we look at Jesus growth from infancy to manhood, a number
of important observations & lessons can be learned which help us.
I. GOD'S PROTECTION OF THE CHILD & HIS PARENTS - cf. Lk. 2:40.
A. Flight Into Egypt To Escape Herod's Treachery - Matt.
1. 2:2-3 - Herod's greed/lust for power caused agitation upon
hearing of possible "King of the Jews."
a. 2:4-6 - Craftily found out Jewish thought.
b. 2:7-8 - Time frame & pretense of worship.
2. 2:12 - Warning to wise men.
3. 2:16-18 - Herod's slaughter.
a. v. 16 - 2 yrs. old & less - Complete sweep.
b. v. 17-18 - Wail as the innocent die (Jer. 31:15 - Lament of
the captives to Babylon).
4. 2:13-15- Angelic message - Joseph obeyed (Fulfilled Hosea
5. Lesson: Man could not/cannot hinder God's purposes
B. From Egypt To Nazareth - Matt. 2:19-23.
1. Lk. 2:4 - Joseph's home before birth of Jesus.
2. Matt. 2:19-20 - Safety announced - God's protection.
3. Matt. 2:22 - Herod's son now king of Judea - Moved to
4. In this incidental occurrence, God's protection is clearly
5. Lk. 2:40 - Grace (favor) of God was indeed upon the child!
6. Lesson: Obey God & be protected from eter. harm
II. HIS LOWLY ESTATE: A BLESSING & A STUMBLING BLOCK.
A. He Should Be Called A Nazarene - Matt. 2:23.
1. Matthew summarized/paraphrases what the
-Not an exact quote from O.T., so we must ascertain its
2. What did it mean to be "called a Nazarene?" (from
-Jno. 1:45-46 - As a slander/label, the description of an
insignificant town out of which nothing great or good was expected. (Psa. 22:6; Isa.
3. Being called a Nazarene fulfilled the prophets concerning
Him & being despised & rejected & of lowly estate.
a. Jno. 7:41-42, 52 - Occasioned their rejection of Him
b. Where he was from prejudiced many - Hated w/o a cause -
Jno. 15:24-25 (Psa. 35:19; 69:4).
B. A Carpenter's Son - Matt. 13:54-58.
1. v. 54 - Implies there was no formal, Rabbinical training in
Nazareth (Jerusalem center of study).
a. Where did this wisdom come from?
b. Cf. Seminaries, colleges, etc. today!
2. Learned a solid work ethic - Mk. 6:3.
a. Must have learned the value of labor growing up. cf. l Tim.
b. Also, He saw His greater work - Jno. 4:34.
c. See the greater value of spiritual labor over physical
3. His life as a carpenters son prepared Him with
discipline & a work ethic we can emulate! - 1 Ths. 4:11-12; 2 Ths. 3:10.
C. His Lowly Estate Was Indeed A Stone Of Stumbling & A
Rock Of Offense To Many--Lk. 2:34. (Falling - Rom.9:32-33; Rising - Jno.1:12)
III. HIS GROWTH FROM CHILDHOOD TO MANHOOD.
A. Childhood - Lk. 2:40.
1. Amazing the brevity of info. about His childhood.
-Indicates this is not a biography of Jesus, but a history of
2. His development was normal.
-He grew mentally, physically, spiritually & socially.
3. Lk. 2:51- Subject to parents. -cf. Eph. 6:1-3
B. Youth - Lk. 2:52.
1. Grew in wisdom - (Mentally).
a. Lk. 2:46-47- Demonstrated.
b. Cf. Col. 2:3 - Go to Him for our wisdom!
2. Grew in stature - (Physically).
a. Labor of carpenter demanding / Used body wisely &
b. Cf. 1 Cor. 6:19-20 - So should we.
3. Grew in favor with God - (Spiritually). How was this
a. Thru the godly efforts of His parents - Lk. 2:41.
b. Thru personal dedication to & application of Gods
law - Lk. 2:49.
4. Grew in favor with men - (Socially). Lived honorably
-cf. Titus 2:6-8 - Be examples of good works!
C. Adulthood - Lk. 3:23; Jno. 2:3-5.
1. Jesus' early years: God's protection of Him; His parents' tender
care of Him, & His own development into a man of God.
2. Do not stumble at His lowly estate, but exalt Him as the Savior
who frees us from our sins!