(Life of Christ, Part 1)
JESUS OF NAZARETH:
1. Biblical prophecy was beyond the power of man to foresee:
a. Not a guess, conjecture, vague generalization or an educated analysis of what might happen based upon past / current trends & indicators.
b. cf. Weathermen - Forecast, but often fail in their predictions.
2. So, fulfillment shows that the prophet is from God (Deut. 18:21-22).
3. Jesus claimed to fulfill prophecy - Matt. 5:17; Jno. 5:39, 46; Lk. 24:44-45.
4. We cannot ignore the impact of all 332 OT Messianic prophecies being fulfilled in a single person - Jesus of Nazareth. (Odds: 1 in 84x10 to the 123rd power)
5. Isa. 46:10 - Our faith is established, strengthened & our commitment to Jesus Christ is refreshed & sustained by considering prophecies & their fulfillment.
I. PROPHECIES OF THE MESSIAH'S BIRTH.
A. The Place Of The Messiah's Birth - Micah 5:2 ( Matt. 2:1-6. (735-700 BC)
-Example of the minute details which characterize some of the prophecies.
1. "Bethlehem" found in two places in Palestine:
a. In Zebulun (6 mi. NW of Nazareth) - Josh. 19:15.
b. Bethlehem Ephrath - 6 mi. SW of Jerusalem (Gen. 48:7).
2. Small and insignificant:
a. Twice omitted from a listing of towns in Judah (Josh 15; Neh. 11:25-30).
b. Jno. 7:42 - Village (kome), not city (polis).
3. Totally beyond His control (by human means) to deliberately achieve a fulfillment.
B. Virgin Birth - Isa. 7:14 ( Matt. 1:20-25.
1. Immanuel - "God with us."
2. Human & Divine - Necessitate a miraculous entrance into the world.
C. Lineage Prophecies.
1. Seed of woman - Gen. 3:15 ( Gal. 4:4.
-Land death blow to Satan's power (Heb. 2:14).
2. Seed of Abraham - Gen. 12:3 ( Gal. 3:16 & Lk. 3:34.
-Through Him blessings would flow (Eph. 1:3).
3. Seed of David - 2 Sam. 7:12-13 ( Rom. 1:3 (Acts 13:22-23).
-Right to the throne ( King (Acts 2:30-32); Jno. 18:37.
4. Could not have manipulated fulfillment of these prophecies!
II. MAJOR EVENTS IN THE LIFE OF THE MESSIAH WERE PROPHESIED.
A. His Coming Was Announced By A Divinely Appointed Messenger.
1. A voice preparing the way - Isa. 40:3; Mal. 3:1 -- Matt. 3:1-3; Mk. 1:1-4.
2. Elijah must first come - Mal. 4:5-6 -- Matt. 11:10; 17:10-13; Lk. 1:16-17.
B. To Be Anointed With The Holy Spirit - Isa. 42:1 -- Matt. 3:16-17.
-God was with Him - Acts 10:38 (cf. Isa. 42:1)!
C. He Was Despised, Rejected Of Men, A Man Of Sorrows & Acquainted With Grief - Isa. 53:3 ( Jno. 1:11; 12:37.
1. A servant of God who suffered tremendously in order for mankind to be saved!
2. What will you do with Him?!
III. PROPHECIES OF THE BETRAYAL, TRIAL & CRUCIFIXION OF THE MESSIAH FIND THEIR FULFILLMENT IN JESUS.
-(Dates: David, c. 1000 BC; Isaiah, 740-700 BC; Zechariah, 520 BC).
1. At least 16 such prophecies fulfilled in one, 24 hr. period surrounding the death of Christ!
2. Many fulfilled by His enemies.
3.All written hundreds of years before the event - Without the possibility of manipulation or coincidence!
IV. THE RESURRECTION OF THE MESSIAH PROPHESIED.
-Psa. 16:10 -- Jno. 20:9; Acts 2:24-32.
1. Jno. 1:44-46 - We have found the One of whom Moses & the prophets
wrote -- Jesus of Nazareth!
2. Come & see for yourself! Examine the evidence & submit yourself to Him! (Jno. 1:11-12)