Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Joshua 6:1-5
Lessons at Jericho
1. Jericho (ďcity of palm trees,Ē 2 Chron. 28:15) was 10 mi. NW of Dead Sea and 14 mi. NE of Jerusalem, it was 1000 ft. below sea level, and 3500 ft. lower than Jerusalem (Lk. 10:30).
2. First military objective of Joshua (Israel) after crossing Jordan River.
3. Many lessons can be learned at Jericho.
#1 Ė Being afraid of God is not enough belief to save you, Josh. 2:8-11.
-Feared but did not believe, Heb. 11:31. cf. Jas. 2:19; Acts 24:25
-Only Rahab acted on her fear, that was the faith that saved her and her house, Heb. 11:31; Jas. 2:25.
1. Be alarmed and be moved to reverence God, Matt. 10:28.
2. Fear God and work righteousness, Acts 10:34-35.
3. Donít bury your abilities and opportunities out of fear, Matt. 25:24-26.
#2 Ė Salvation is by grace through (obedient) faith, Josh. 6:2.
-Success was certain if Godís commands are obeyed, Heb. 11:30.
- Godís grace: ďI have givenĒ (6:2, 16). Eph. 2:8-9
-Manís obedient faith accesses Godís grace, Josh. 6:3-5; Rom. 5:1-2.
1. Grace and obedient faith are companions, not competitors.
2. Obedient faith is working faith, Josh. 6:6-11; Jas. 2:14-22.
3. Obedient faith is enduring faith Josh. 6:12-14; Heb. 4:11; 6:11-12; 12:1.
#3 Ė Careful obedience is possible and essential to faith, Josh. 6:3-5 (6-11).
-God teaches us how to have faith by commanding our faith, 6:3-5 (ďyou shallĒ Ė 7xs); 1 Jno. 5:3-4. (Rom. 10:17)
1. Godís word can be understood and obeyed, Josh. 6:3-5.
2. Christians carefully and fully obey, 1 Tim. 4:6; 2 Tim. 3:10.
3. It is not Pharisaical to do so, Matt. 23:3, 23; 7:21.
4. Obedience from the heart does not nullify grace (it is not an attempt to earn salvation, Rom. 6:17-18; Heb. 5:9).
#4 Ė Do not touch what God has cursed, Josh. 6:17-19 (Lev. 27:28-29).
-God dedicated Jericho for destruction and spoils for His treasury.
-All Israel was affected when Achan sinned by taking what was cursed, (Ai, Josh. 7).
1. A warning against returning to sin, 2 Pet. 2:20-22.
2. Flee everything God has banned for judgment, 1 Cor. 6:18; 2 Tim. 2:22; 1 Thess. 5:22.
3. Sin in the camp affects the camp (1 Cor. 5:7).
#5 Ė Spiritual victories require you to fight, Josh. 6:20-21.
-God gave the city, but Israel also had to fight, cf. Eph. 6:10-13.
1. We are in a war and must fight the good fight, 1 Tim. 6:12.
2. Militancy against sin and error is required, 2 Cor. 10:3-5.
#6 Ė Your spiritual battle is straight in front of you, Josh. 6:20-21 (5).
1. Each Christian has his/her battle of faith, 1 Tim. 6:12.
2. We must fight side by side, cf. Gal. 6:1-2; Heb. 12:12-13.
-Donít turn to the right or left (donít be distracted).
-Canít fight another personís spiritual battle, so donít put our noses where they donít belong, Prov. 26:17.
#7 Ė Godís judgments are sure, Josh. 6:24, 26.
-500 years later, Hiel rebuilt Jericho at the cost of 2 sons, 1 Kgs. 16:34.
1. Passing of time does not change Godís character and judgments, 2 Pet. 3:8-9.
2. What is from God cannot be successfully overthrown, Acts 5:39.
3. Godís judgment is certainly coming, Heb. 9:27.
1. Jericho is a monument to Godís judgment against sin, His grace toward His people, and blessings that come to manís faith when it obeys the word of God.
2. Fear God, obey Him, and be saved.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: August 7, 2018