1. Few things have robbed the Lord & His people as much as spiritual indifference (insensitivity).
a. Robs Christians of giving their proper attention & involvement to spiritual things in their lives.
b. "Apathy is an attitude of indifference & unconcern toward spiritual things. It generally ignores spiritual matters in order to place a greater emphasis on material things."
c. Indifference is one of the besetting sins of our age!
2. The vigor & vitality of the Christians life is outlined in the following: Matt. 6:33; Rom.12:1-2; Gal.2:20; Col .3:1-4.
3. A thief is among us & we must root it out & conquer it -- APATHY!
I. INDIFFERENCE ROBS CHRIST:
A. Of Souls - Lk. 19:10.
1. When one is indifference toward spiritual matters, truth will not penetrate heart - Soul lost! - Matt. 13:14-15
2. Worldliness w/ its affluence, preoccupation w/ secular things, etc., breeds spiritual indifference toward Christ & truth! Matt. 13:22
B. Of Sacrificial Servants - Lk. 9:23; Jno. 13:12-17.
1. Deny self & take up cross (difficulties of discipleship) -- Not for the uncommitted! (Lk. 8:13-14).
2. Jno. 13:12-17 - Christianity is not so you can be served - So you can serve others!
3. Lack of servants because there is an abundance of indifference!
C. Of Stalwart Soldiers - 2 Tim. 2:1-4.
1. v. 1-3 - Be strengthened in grace to teach & endure hardships of spiritual combat!
2. v. 4 - For many, affairs of this life are more important than the affairs of the next life!
3. Stable, resolute soldiers of the cross are in short supply! Eph. 6:10-13
II. INDIFFERENCE ROBS A CHURCH:
A. Of Its Maximum Worship Potential.
1. Indifference shows itself through neglected attendance, preparation & participation.
a. Enthusiasm to worship will be missing - Psa. 122:1.
b. Violation of Gods stated will robs your brethren & yourself of edification - Heb. 10:24-25.
c. Hinders effective teaching & learning - Heb. 5:11-12.
2. Our interest must increase for our worship to be a blessing!
3. "I dont get anything out of worship." - Are you putting anything in?!!
B. Of Its Maximum Work Potential.
1. cf. Giving - l Cor. 16:2.
a. We can only fund work according to funds available.
b. Little giving - Little work! - cf. 2 Cor. 9:6-8.
c. Our giving must increase!
2. cf. Individual work of spreading gospel - We must renew our zeal & fervor for sowing the seed!
3. As teachers & students of classes - Last minute thing, or priority?
C. Of Its Maximum Growth Potential - Eph. 4:14-16.
1. Growth of Christian affects growth of the body.
2. Lack of interest in personal growth directly affects church (damages it!).
3. No interest in self - No interest in others!
III. INDIFFERENCE ROBS THE CHRISTIAN:
A. Of Spiritual Interest - Acts 2:42, 46; Rom. 12:11 (cf. Eccl. 12:1).
1. Bible study, personal growth & pure living.
2. l Pet. 2:l-2 - We shouldnt have to be rebuked before we will study, grow & live pure lives!
3. Apathetic Christian has no time left for God! (School, job, play, etc.)
B. Of A Tender Heart - Jno. 12:37-40. (cf. Non-Christians, too!)
1. Apathy is to be "without emotion."
2. To the indifference, truth makes no impact of love, reverence, honor & devotion. (Heb. 6:4-6)
3. Heb. 3:12-14 - Be warned & exhorted to avoid effect of indifference!
C. Of His Soul - cf. Col. 3:2-4.
1. v. 3-4 - Live for Christ, reign with Christ!
2. Opposite necessarily true - 2 Tim. 2:1l-13.
1. Spiritual indifference is sin! - Rev. 3:15-16
2. Remedy: Repent & reaffirm our priorities - Then live them! (Matt. 6:33; Rom. 12:1-2; Gal. 2:20; Col. 3:2)