-[Adapted from Bible Authority, Leon Goff, p. 22]
HUMAN PHILOSOPHIES WHICH ARE ACCEPTED
AS AUTHORITY IN RELIGION
1. Since Satan first tempted man & sin resulted, man has abused & misused the authority of His Creator:
a. Adam & Eve failed to respect Gods authority - sin & death.
b. Rom. 5:12; 3:23; 1 Jno. 3:4 - All have violated Gods authority.
2. In trying to justify themselves, men have developed a series of human philosophies which serve to satisfy millions that their religious/moral actions are authorized by God, when in fact, God rejects them - Col. 2:8; Matt. 7:21-23. [Examine some]
I. IT WORKS -The end justifies the means.
1. Rom. 3:5-8 - We cannot do evil that good may come!
-Such reasoning is condemned by God - Rom. 10:1-3.
2. 1 Sam. 15 - Saul & the Amalekites:
-v. 3 (command); v. 13 (Sauls confidence); v. 15 (it works); v. 19-21 (Sauls rationalization); v. 22-23 (Gods judgment).
3. Do you want to base your salvation on the same kind of logic king Saul used?!
II. TRADITION - It has been practiced for so long.
1. Mk. 7:1-13 - Tradition of man v. Commandments of God.
2. v. 8-9 - Here is when tradition is wrong:
a. Require the tradition, yet reject Gods commands.
b. When the established tradition(s) contradict Gods will (word) (v. 10-12).
3. Elevates mans judgment above Gods law!
III. THE SILENCE OF THE BIBLE - The Bible doesnt say not
1. Be content with what Christ has revealed - 2 Jno. 9.
2. Heb. 7:12-14 - If proper philosophy, men of Judah could be OT priests!
a. God said what He wanted! - Num. 3:10
b. Silence does not give consent!
IV. NUMBERS - Surely so many people cannot be wrong!
1. Matt. 7:13-14 - Jesus says the majority is wrong!
2. Gen. 6:5-6 - Human race (except for 8 people)!
3. Num. 14:28-30 - Only 2 of millions entered promised land.
4. It was the majority that crucified Jesus!
5. This logic bases salvation upon man, pure & simple!
V. LITTLE THINGS - Those issues are not important; &/or If I
do some important things right, these other things wont matter.
1. Acts 5:1-2, 3-4 - Did their good make up for their lie?
2. Ezek. 18:21-24 - Must live by all of Gods word -- If we sin, our good does not eliminate judgment!
3. cf. Uzzah - 2 Sam. 6:6-7: He kept the ark from falling...Touched it & died!! Good didnt outweigh the bad!
VI KEEPING UP W/ THE JONESS -They are doing it and so can
1. 1 Sam. 8:4-7, 19-20 - Not content with Gods way!
2. Look at what the denominations are doing!
a. Some have to be like them or perish! (Such will perish!!)
b. Churches can have reputations of greatness but really be dead because they have gone beyond the gospel of Christ! - Rev. 3:1-3
VII. LOSING TOUCH W/ REALITY -Id rather do it wrong than not do it at all!
1. 2 Tim. 2:5 - Would this logic work in sports?!
2. Another alternative: Gods work in Gods way! (1 Cor. 15:58)
1. All of these philosophies put more value on mans own thoughts & desires than on what God says. (Jer. 10:23; Prov. 14:12)
2. The NT is our authority, & we must have NT authority for every belief, teaching & practice, or...give it up to be right with God!