Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: John 16:8-15
How the Holy Spirit Works in Our Lives
1. The Holy Spirit and His work is very misunderstood and often misrepresented, maligned and blasphemed, Lk. 12:10.
2. All sorts of things are attributed to the Spirit of God, yet what He has done is often rejected for false claims about Him.
I. TWO POSSIBILITIES OF HOW THE HOLY SPIRIT WORKS IN A PERSON’S LIFE:
A. The Direct Operation of the Holy Spirit.
1. Holy Spirit Baptism: Promised and given to apostles, Acts 1:1-5.
2. The HS operated directly on men to…
a) Reveal all truth, Jno. 16:13; Eph. 3:3-5.
b) Inspire the teaching of truth, Matt. 10:19-20; 1 Cor. 2:13.
c) Confirm the divine origin of the revealed truth by empowering men to work miracles, Mk. 16:17-20; Heb. 2:3-4; 1 Cor. 2:4-5.
-Nowhere does the New Testament teach that the Holy Spirit works directly on a Christian today to empower him to believe and obey the truth that has been revealed.
B. The Indirect Operation of the Holy Spirit in a Person’s Life.
1. The work the HS does on our behalf is said to be accomplished through the word of truth which He revealed, inspired and confirmed.
2. His work can either be accepted or rejected – based on one’s obedience or disobedience to the word of God. The Holy Spirit does not force His desires upon men.
3. The work of the Holy Spirit through the word He revealed, inspired and confirmed includes:
a) HS convict sinners: John 16:8. The word convicts sinners…
1) Of sin, cf. Acts 2:37; Rom. 3:23.
2) Of righteousness, cf. Rom. 1:16-17; Acts 24:24-25.
3) Of judgment, cf. Acts 24:25; 2 Cor. 5:10.
b) HS and the new birth, John 3:5.
-The word and the new birth, 1 Pet. 1:22-23.
c) HS and sanctification, 1 Peter 1:2.
-The word of God sanctifies, Jno. 17:17.
d) HS saves, Titus 3:5.
-The implanted word saves, Jas. 1:21; Rom. 1:16.
e) HS cleanses sinners, 1 Cor. 6:11.
-Washed by the word of God, Eph. 5:26-27.
f) HS leads, Rom. 8:14.
-The word of God leads us, 1 Jno. 1:6-7; 2 Jno. 1-2, 4, 6.
g) HS strengthens, Eph. 3:16.
-The word of God builds us up, Acts 20:32.
h) HS bears witness that we are the sons of God, Rom. 8:16.
-Testimony of the word of God, 1 Jno. 2:3-6; 3:24.
1. Every action of the Holy Spirit in human conviction, conversion and consecration of life is carried out by the word of God which the Holy Spirit revealed, inspired and confirmed.
2. Do not blasphemy the Holy Spirit by rejecting the work He has done and continues to do by the word He revealed, inspired and confirmed.
3. The word of God truly is the “sword of the Spirit” Eph.6:17. Heb. 4:12
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: May 3, 2014