HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO GO TO HEAVEN?
1. Matt. 16:21-27 - Peter's reaction reflects human efforts (intentional or not) to remake the plan & will of God to satisfy ourselves while still thinking to receive divine blessings.
2. Human adaptation of the divine will violates God's will & invalidates God's blessings! - v. 23 - Devise of Satan! (cf. Gal. 1:6-10)
3. v. 24-26 - Self-denial the proper response.
4. This will depend in large part on our commitment: How much do you want to go to heaven?
I. ENOUGH TO NOT MAKE THIS WORLD YOUR HOME? - Heb. 11:9-10, 13-16
A. Materialism - Matt. 16:26; Lk. 12:13-21; Jas. 5:1-6
1. Lk. 12:13-21 - Possessed by our possessions (cf. Matt. 19:22)!
a. v. 13-15 - Principle stated.
b. v. 19 - The comfort possessions afford can cause us to lose sight of heaven!
c. v. 20-21 - Foolish to trust in things!
2. Jas. 5:1-6 - Materialism can lead to the oppression of others - God will judge!
B. Lusts Of The World - 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
1. Flesh - cf. Gal. 5:19-21; 1 Ths. 4:3-8.
2. Eyes - Matt. 6:22-24.
3. Pride of life (vainglory) - Elevation of self - cf. Lk. 18:9-12 (Gen. 3:6 - "wise").
C. Pursuit Of Pleasure - cf. Lk. 12:19.
1. Moral pleasures have their place in life - Eccl. 9:7-10.
2. But ultimately, they are not completely satisfying - Eccl. 2:1-2. There is more to life's purpose than this.
3. Therefore, pursue eternal things - Lk. 12:20 (cf. Lk. 8:14).
4. What of spiritual pleasures?! (Phil. 4:4; Matt. 6:19-21)
II. ENOUGH TO BE A LIVING SACRIFICE? - Rom.12:1-2
A. Spiritual Sacrifices Include (1 Pet. 2:5):
1. Worship - Jno. 4:23-24.
2. Bible study & obedience - 2 Tim. 2:15.
3. Every type of service - 1 Pet. 5:5 (Gal. 6:10).
B. Using Our Body As A Sacrifice - 1 Cor. 6:19-20.
1. Tongue - Jas. 3:9-10.
2. Hands - Jas. 4:8.
3. Ears - Lk. 8:8.
4. Mouth - Matt. 10:32.
C. Give Your Life? - Heb.11:32-40
III. ENOUGH TO REMAIN LOYAL TO TRUTH? - Jno. 6:67-68
A. Religious Compromise Is In The Air (Rev. 2:14-16); Gal. 2:3-5.
1. MDR; Worship (instrumental music in worship, women preachers, etc.); Plan of salvation ("Christians in all the churches"); Fellowship (with those in error, ecumenism, unity in doctrinal diversity).
2. 2 Tim. 4:2-4 - Don't dilute the truth!
3. Compromise with false doctrine & worldly living must be resisted! Truth and godliness will prevail! (1 Cor. 10:13; 1 Pet. 5:8-9; 1 Jno. 5:4)
B. Self-Inspection Must Be Constant - 2 Cor. 13:5.
1. Our purpose must be clear: Obey God rather than man (Acts 5:29).
2. Our determination must be exemplary (it will be tested, both in & out of the church).
3. Our lives must be obedient - Matt. 7:21-27; Heb. 5:8-9.
1. Matt. 16:27 - Our present deeds show how much we want to go to heaven - And whether or not we will actually go there!
2. Col. 3:1, 4 - Seek heavenly things now & you will finally & forever go to heaven!