Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: 2 Timothy 1:8-12
The House of Evasion
1. “The house of evasion” (Albert Mohler). (see Notes)
2. What do we do when we are faced with a situation to speak up for truth, or remain silent (letting evil prevail)? What do we do when we know what is right, and know we should do it? (Jas. 4:17)
3. Do we hide in the house of evasion from confrontation over truth?
4. Do we hide in the house of evasion when we ought to “speak the truth in love” to reprove and rebuke sin, trying to save a soul?
I. WE RUN TO THE HOUSE OF EVASION...
A. When We Blame Others for Our Sins and Failings, Gen. 3:10-13.
B. When We Are Indecisive Spiritually, 1 Kgs. 18:21; 2 Cor. 1:15-20.
1. cf. Moses, Exo. 3:11-4:17.
2. Choose who you will serve...and serve Him, Josh. 24:15.
3. Requires reverence, sincerity and truth, Josh. 24:14.
C. When We Are More Concerned with Self-Preservation than with Truth and Justice, Matt. 27:22-26.
1. Personal comfort instead of taking responsibility.
2. “It’s none of my business.” cf. 1 Cor. 12:26; Gal. 6:1-2.
D. When We Are Afraid and Ashamed of Standing for what is Right.
1. Ashamed of Jesus and His words, Mk. 8:38; Lk. 22:54-62.
2. Ashamed of the truth of the gospel, Rom. 1:16.
3. Ashamed of God’s faithful workers, 2 Tim. 1:8.
4. Ashamed to suffer loss for doing God’s work, 2 Tim. 1:12.
5. Overcome with bold faith, Rom. 9:33; Eph. 6:19; Phil. 1:20.
II. BE BOLD WHEN WE NEED TO SPEAK/STAND FOR TRUTH, Acts 4:13.
A. Concerning the Church of Christ, Matt. 16:18; Eph. 1:22-23; 4:4; 5:23.
1. Jesus built only one; Denominations are of men, not Christ.
2. There is one true church, and there are false churches.
3. Belongs to Jesus, not us to do with as we please.
4. Cannot be in Christ and out of His body, the church.
5. Jesus saves His body (church) – no one else.
B. Concerning Moral Purity, 1 Pet. 4:1-4.
1. Crude jokes, vulgar language, pornographic images.
2. Immodest clothing, 1 Tim. 2:9-10. (Short skirts, plunging necklines that expose breasts, strapless tops, shirtless guys, short shorts, etc.)
C. Concerning False Teachers and False Teaching, Jude 3.
1. Marriage, divorce and remarriage.
a. Preachers and churches with absolutely no public teaching on the subject (websites, sermons, etc.). cf. Acts 20:26-27
b. “Difficulty,” “controversy,” “sincere differences,” to justify silence and inaction.
c. Inconclusive, indecisive preaching, leaves people confused and comfortable in sin and silence!
d. Truth is absolute and pure, 2 Cor. 11:3-4.
2. Broadened fellowship (friendship fellowship that approves false teachers), Col. 3:17; 1 Tim. 3:15.
3. Not withdrawing from the disorderly, 2 Thess. 3:6, 14-15.
D. Concerning Fellowship with Error, 2 John 9-11 (Eph. 5:11).
1. Someone must speak up, stand up and refuse error!
2. Elders, mature Christians, cf. Ezek. 22:30.
E. Concerning How to be Saved, Matt. 7:21; Mk. 16:15-16.
1. Obedient faith, not faith only, Jas. 2:17; Heb. 5:9.
2. H-B-R-C-B – Saved; Be faithful, Acts 2:37-38, 41, 47.
1. “Evasive, wandering, and inconclusive answers will be seen for what they are. Those who have fled for security to the house of evasion must know that the structure has crumbled. It always does.” (Mohler)
2. Build your life on the rock of obeying truth, not the shifting sands of fear, doubt and shame, Matt. 7:24-27.
3. The house of evasion will fall, and the souls that live in it will be lost.
“Last year, after Eugene Peterson told me in an interview that he had evolved on LGBT issues and would perform a same-sex wedding before retracting the statement a day later. Albert Mohler, president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, responded that the ordeal underscored the need for every leader and congregation to “have your answer ready.” He wrote:
“Every pastor, every Christian leader, every author — even every believer — will have to answer the question. The question cannot simply be about same-sex marriage. The question is about whether or not the believer is willing to declare and defend God’s revealed plan for human sexuality and gender as clearly revealed in the Bible…. Evasive, wandering, and inconclusive answers will be seen for what they are. Those who have fled for security to the house of evasion must know that the structure has crumbled. It always does.” (Jonathan Merritt, “Church Clarity pressures pastors and churches to disclose positions on homosexuality,” Religious News Service). (religiousnews.com - https://goo.gl/cVqWx7)
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: November 2, 2017