Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 94:12-19
In the Hour of Trial
1. Some things are out of our control, Eccl. 9:11-12; Matt. 6:27.
2. Ultimately, matters of life and death, as well as many other things, are in the overruling hand of God, Prov. 16:33.
a. We see with temporal eyes; God sees the end from the beginning.
b. Our knowledge is limited, God’s understanding is boundless.
c. Our insight is measured by time and events; His wisdom reaches from eternity to eternity.
3. Does God know our trials? Does He act on our behalf? Does He abandon us in our hour of trial?
4. What are we to do in the hour of trial? (We know what Jesus does, Rev. 3:10.)
I. KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN YOUR TRIALS, cf. 1 Cor. 10:13; Job 5:7.
A. We All Suffer in this Life because Sin is in the World, Gen. 3:16-19.
-“various trials” (1 Pet. 1:6):
1. Grief over loss and death, cf. Eccl. 3:4; Rom. 12:15.
2. Health trials, Job 2:7-8.
3. Emotional trials, Jas. 5:13.
4. Faith trials, Acts 5:41; 1 Pet. 1:6.
5. These are all spiritual trials, cf. 2 Cor. 11:22-29.
B. We have Brethren Who Care for Us, Pray for us and Encourage Us in Our Trials and Struggles, Rom. 12:15-16; 1 Cor. 12:26.
II. GOD KNOWS, GOD CARES AND GOD SUPPLIES WHAT YOU TRULY NEED, Psa. 46:1-3.
A. God is Righteous in All His Works, Psa. 145:17.
1. The faithful turn to God in the hour of trial, not away from Him, Matt. 11:28-30.
a. cf. Jesus very sorrowful, Heb. 5:7-8; Matt. 26:38 (persistent prayer in His moment of agony, Matt. 26:39-44).
b. Jesus, in mental anguish, asked for relief. He needed strength to persevere in His obedience, and He received it, Lk. 22:43-44.
2. Learn from Job, that being bitter toward God for suffering is foolish and without understanding, Job 16:1-7, 11-14, 17; 42:1-6.
B. The Lord is Near, Psa. 145:18-20.
1. To all who call on Him in truth, cf. Psa. 50:15.
2. Deliverance: Ebenezer, 1 Sam. 7:7-13.
-“But, I was not delivered!” cf. 2 Tim. 4:16-18 – Heaven, not earth, is our deliverance.
III. WHAT ARE WE TO DO?
A. “Be Still, and Know that I am God,” Psa. 46:10.
1. Stop, and in godly fear and humility, depend upon God.
2. Faith that God sees and knows more than I ever will, and He acts in ways that are far greater than me. Trust that His way is right, esp. through the difficult, stressful, trying times, Rom. 8:35-39.
3. Silently submit to Him, cf. Hab. 2:20; Psa. 11:4-5; Jas. 1:2-4.
B. Pray, Jas. 5:13-16.
-Pray without ceasing (1 Thess. 5:17); Do not lose heart, Lk. 18:1, 8.
C. Live! Jas. 4:15
1. Live by faith each day, 2 Cor. 5:7.
2. Today is a blessing from God, do not harden your heart because of present trials, Heb. 3:7-8, 13.
1. Summary: In the hour of trial...
a. God is still in control.
-Submit to Him and depend on Him (Heb. 13:5-6).
b. God still cares about you, 1 Pet. 5:6-7.
-Never doubt God’s love for you.
c. You still have a place in the kingdom, Matt. 10:42.
-Be a blessing to others.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 1, 2016