Why We Live Holy Lives
1 Peter 1:13-21
1. Every family has certain family traits which distinguish them (blond, blue eyes, tall, short, etc.).
2. Children of God have traits which mark them as belonging to God & His family:
a. Titus 2:14 - Zealous of good works.
b. Jno. 13:35 - Love for our brethren.
c. 1 Pet. 2:9 - Lives which proclaim the praises of God (faithfulness).
3. 1 Pet. 1:13-21 - A vital family trait is emphasized & appealed to - One which we must guard & protect at all times & all costs: Holiness.
4. Holy: "Separated, set apart."
a. "Fundamentally, signifies separated and hence, in Scripture in its moral & spiritual significance, separated from sin & therefore consecrated to God, sacred." (Vine, II:226)
b. Involves devotion to God without which, holiness is hollow & hypocritical!
5. Three reasons why Christians live holy lives.
I. BECAUSE GOD IS HOLY - 1 Pet. 1:14-16.
A. God Has Called Us To Salvation - 1:15.
1. 2 Ths. 2:13-14 - God has called us, through the gospel, to "salvation in sanctification" - To be set apart from sin. (So, He has called us to holiness!)
a. 1 Ths. 4:7 - He called us out of sin & into Christ so we could be separated from sin (holy)!
b. Inconsistency of Christians going back into uncleanness - 2 Pet. 2:20-22.
2. 1 Cor. 1:2 - Called (to be) saints ("holy ones").
B. As Obedient Children We Are To Respect & Honor This Call - 1:14.
1. Everyone of us is "forming ourselves" into something:
a. Either according to the former lusts (which were characterized by ignorance) - 1 Pet. 4:2-3; OR
b. Into children of God who obey His will & develop holiness in our lives (cf. 2 Cor. 6:17-7:1).
2. We dishonor our calling when we turn back to the things of the world!
C. Practical Application: Be Holy In All Your Conduct - 1:15.
1. 1:16 - Because God is -- in everything!
a. Attitudes, values, motives (Phil. 4:8).
b. Language (Eph. 4:29).
c. Conduct (1 Tim. 4:12).
3. We are to be holy every moment of every day! It is a lifestyle, not an occasional occurrence! (Devotion)
II. BECAUSE GOD SHALL JUDGE THE WORLD - 1:17.
A. We Must Live Reverent, Holy Lives If We Call God Our Father.
1. As our Father He gives us provisions which bless us - Matt. 6:30-33; 7:7-11.
2. With God's blessings come responsibilities for which we will be judged - cf. Lk. 12:48 (Matt. 25:14-30).
3. We show ingratitude for God's blessings & ignore the future judgment when we live unholy, irreverent, negligent lives which disregard our spiritual responsibilities!
B. God Is An Impartial Judge.
1. We can't just wear the name "Christian" & expect to receive heaven at the judgment! - cf. 1 Pet. 4:16-18
2. Matt. 7:21-23 - "Lord, Lord" without faithful obedience is unacceptable to Him.
3. Jno. 8:51 - Keep His word - Never see death.
C. Because God Is Our Father & Impartial Judge, We Should Live Reverently Before Him - Eccl. 12:13-14.
III. BECAUSE OF OUR REDEMPTION PRICE - 1:18-19.
A. We Show That We Recognize & Honor What It Took To Save Us When We Live Holy Lives.
1. 2 Cor. 8:9 - It took unselfish humility and giving.
2. Eph. 2:4-5 - It took God's mercy, love & grace.
3. Rom. 5:8-9 - It took God's great love & Christ's willing death! (1 Pet. 1:19).
4. Rom. 12:1-2 - On this basis we are urged to be holy!
5. Eph. 5:25-27 - Jesus died so we can be holy!
6. How will you respond to the blood of Christ?!
1. 1 Pet. 1:13 - Set your hope on the grace to be received when Christ returns.
a. Only holy people can do so with assurance of receiving God's favor!
b. Are you prepared for His return? - 2 Pet. 3:11-13
2. Holiness is a family trait of God's people (the church)!