Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Luke 14:25-33
The High Cost of Low Living
1. "Nothing in life is free" ("there are no free lunches").
2. Jesus, understanding this principle, said to "count the cost" of following Him, Lk. 14:25-33.
3. Yet, billions continue to live as if there is no cost to be paid for wasteful living, or they have deceived themselves into thinking the price is worth it (everyone runs a "cost-benefit analysis" in life, but the outcome is skewed when we use faulty standards).
4. Jesus warns that the high cost of low living is eternal death, Matt. 16:26. (Sin and death, Rom. 6:23)
-Low: Profane - "accessible to everyone and therefore devoid of real significance, pointless, worthless"
I. THE HIGH COST OF LOW MORALS, Rom. 13:11-14; 1 Pet. 1:13-16; 4:1-3.
A. Low Morals Will Cost You Your Good Name and Influence.
1. Good name is superior to great riches, Prov. 22:1 (10:7), 2-5.
"One who has obtained riches at the cost of a notorious reputation has paid too high a price."
2. Life-long monitoring, Eccl. 7:1. "A good name is not securely established until the day of death; someone who still lives may still ruin his reputation."
3. Companions will influence and help define your influence, 1 Cor. 15:33-34.
B. Low Morals Can Often Cost You Your Good Health.
1. Stewards of our bodies, since life is a gift from God, Eccl. 5:18.
2. Drugs and alcohol, 1 Cor. 6:19-20.
3. STDs, cf. 1 Cor. 6:18. Soul is morally defiled while the body is often contaminated with diseases due to sinful passions.
C. Low Morals Will Cost You Heaven, Rev. 21:27 (20:8); Gal. 5:19-21; Eph. 5:5.
II. THE HIGH COST OF LOW (FALSE) DOCTRINE.
A. God's Law is Good and is for the Unholy and Profane, 1 Tim. 1:8-11.
1. The holy Scriptures lead to salvation through faith as they teach a knowledge of sin, reprove, correct and instruct, 2 Tim. 3:15-16 (Rom. 7:12-13).
2. If you think you are above God's law you will pay a high price for your low opinion of God's truth, Jno. 12:48.
B. Low (False) Doctrine Will Cost You Good Spiritual Nutrition, 1 Tim. 4:6-8.
1. Fail to get proper nutrition of good doctrine and godliness.
2. Avoid profane and idle babblings that pose as knowledge - destroys faith, 1 Tim. 6:20-21.
C. Low (False) Doctrine Will Cost You Fellowship with God, 2 Jno. 9-11.
1. "Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore, get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding." (Prov. 4:7)
2. Lay up treasure in heaven, not on earth, Matt. 6:19-21.
3. There is no profit in low living; Only a high price that you will paid, Rom. 2:5-11.
 Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., & Bauer, W. (2000). A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature (3rd ed., p. 173). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
 Garrett, D. A. (1993). Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of songs (Vol. 14, p. 186). Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers.
 Ibid, 318
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 11, 2015