Power Point Show MP3 audio
Scripture Reading: Psalm 25:1-5
Hiding Your Faith
1. Just as some try to hide their sins from God, some try to hide their faith from men.
2. Citizens of the kingdom of heaven must not do so, Matt. 5:14-16.
I. BIBLE EXAMPLES OF HIDING FAITH.
A. Peter, Matt. 26:69-75.
-Pride goes before fall, Prov. 16:18; Matt. 26:33-35 (Lk. 22:33-34).
B. The People of Jerusalem, Jno. 7:13.
-When we fear others we are allowing the faithless to define our faith.
C. The Jewish Rulers, Jno. 12:42-43.
-Honor from men was more important to them than honor from God, cf. Jno. 5:41-44.
D. Peter...Again, Gal. 2:11-14.
1. Hiding faith leads to hypocrisy.
2. Influences others to follow us into sin, 2:13-14.
E. The One Talent Man, Matt. 25:24-27.
1. "I was afraid” (25:25). Of loss? Of his ability? Of his master?
2. “Wicked and lazy servant” (25:26). Rom. 12:11
II. WHY DO PEOPLE TRY TO HIDE THEIR FAITH?
A. Ironically, it is Because of Faithlessness, Lk. 6:46.
-Faith compels action; inaction lacks trust in the power of God to work in us as we do His will, Phil. 2:12-13.
B. The Loss of Privilege, Jno. 9:22.
1. Put out of synagogue: Lose communion, associations, commerce...
2. cf. Loss of fellowship with God! 2 Cor. 6:17-18
C. The Fear of Men, Jno. 7:13 (Matt. 10:28)
1. Fear of reprisal, Jno. 9:22; 16:2.
2. Savior’s reassurances, Matt. 10:16-26; Heb. 13:5-6.
D. The Threat of Persecution, cf. Matt. 24:9, 12.
1. Faith suffers for what is right, 1 Pet. 3:13-17.
2. Give an answer for your hope without fear of men.
E. The Love of the World, 2 Tim. 4:10.
1. Driven by lust instead of love for God, 1 Jno. 2:15-16.
2. Cannot serve two masters, 2 Tim. 4:10; Matt. 6:24.
1. The Christian’s faith in Christ must testify to the world that we trust in the Lord Jesus, 1 Ths. 1:8-10.
2. Never be ashamed of Jesus and His words, Mk. 8:38.
By: Joe R. Price
Posted: December 21, 2012