Topical Sermons Power Point Show
Scripture Reading: Nehemiah 8:1-12
Hermeneutics (Part 1)
Come to the Knowledge of the Truth
1. This lesson begins a brief series on understanding the Bible.
2. God made man in His image w/ an intelligent/rational mind, capable of communicating & understanding by means of words (Gen. 1:26-28).
3. God has always spoken to men in the words of men so as to be understood by men:
a. Adam & Eve understood from the beginning (Gen. 2:16-17; 3:1-3).
b. Israel understood both the spoken & written word from the time God gave it to them - (Exo. 20-23) Exo. 24:3-4, 7, 12; 25:8-9.
c. “The book of the law of Moses” could be plainly understood 1,000 years after it was given to man by God – Neh. 8:1-3, 7-8.
4. God’s determined wish is that we come to know truth – 1 Tim. 2:3-4.
5. Men who sincerely try to understand God’s word can understand – Jno. 8:31-32; Acts 8:30-31; 17:11; Eph. 3:3-5; 2 Tim. 2:15.
I. HERMENEUTICS: WHAT IS IT?
A. The Science (principles) of Interpretation. (Acts 14:12)
1. Hermes – Greek messenger of the gods & interpreter of Jupiter.
2. How to go about interpreting the Bible to understanding it.
B. God Expects us to Use His Book to Know His Character & to Know His Will - Psa. 119:11-16.
1. Go about understanding the Bible like we would other books.
a. The true principles of understanding the Bible are the common principles of human language & understanding (who is speaking, to whom; when; context; literal; figurative; poetry, prose, history, biography, letter; statement, example, implication).
b. Used unconsciously every day. Should be conscious of these principles in our study & understanding of God’s word.
2. God does not inspire our interpretation (2 Tim. 3:16).
a. God chose the word-method of revelation & communication (Heb. 1:2; 1 Cor. 2:12-13; 2 Pet. 1:21). (This method brings its own particular strengths & weaknesses re. interpretation.)
b. Cf. Jno. 14:26 (remembrance) w/ Eph. 3:3-4 (read to know).
II. THOSE IN ANCIENT TIMES BELIEVED THEY COULD GAIN KNOWLEDGE OF GOD’S WILL.
A. “To the Law & to the Testimony” – Isa. 8:19-20.
1. By applying the same methods of interpretation used in any other branch of knowledge, knowledge of God’s word obtained.
a. Ezra 7:10 – Set heart: Seek…obey…teach (cf. Jno. 7:17).
b. Deut. 29:29 – Things revealed belonged to them to do!
2. Neh. 8:1-8 – Law of God read – taught – understood (8:12).
B. Like Them, We Must Read, Study, Meditate in order to Understand & Obey God’s Word – Psa. 1:1-2 (cf. Lk. 16:29-31; 1 Tim. 4:13, 15).
III. WHY MUST WE BE CONCERNED WITH USING CORRECT HERMENEUTICS (principles of interpretation) IN BIBLE STUDY?
A. It Shows Respect for God’s Word – 2 Tim. 2:15.
B. To Not Be Led Away into Error & Lose our Soul – 2 Pet. 3:16-18.
C. To Help Promote Unity & Heal Division Among Believers – Eph. 4:3; Jno. 17:20-21.
1. Jesus prayed for unity, his apostles condemned division.
2. Only truth of Christ can unite us with God & with each other!
3. Improper interpretation accelerates division! (2 Pet. 2:1-2)
D. To Correctly Answer Truth Seekers &/or Skeptics (1 Pet. 3:15).
1. Acts 8:30-31, 35 – Philip accurately preached Jesus because he accurately understood the word of God!
2. Acts 17:2-3 – From the scriptures Paul showed the purpose & work of the Christ – His hearers could understand them! The answers we must give so people can understand God’s will for them!
E. To Know the Way to Heaven.
1. Acts 16:30 – Bible answers the question of how to be saved!
2. Answers to man’s pardon from sin, life of righteousness & hope of eternal life found in God’s word! – cf. Psa. 19:7-11
3. If we misinterpret scripture, we lose our way! (Jno. 14:6; Matt. 7:21, 24)
4. God does not want us to be ignorant! (1 Ths. 4:13)
1. We are under obligation to understand God’s will – Eph 5:17.
2. How we obtain our understanding of the Bible will determine whether we are approved & received or rejected by God! – 2 Tim. 2:15; Jno. 8:31-32